One to Many with Dynamic Data and custom FieldTemplate problem.. RRS feed

• Question

• User-515813820 posted

Hi,

I've created a kind of hack to store one to many records in a junction table using Dynamic Data and Linq. I have a simple checkboxlist control in the _Edit usercontrol. The code looks like this:

Imports System.Web.DynamicData
    Imports System.Linq
    Imports System.Data.Linq

Partial Class ChildLeadershipLevel_Edit
    Inherits System.Web.DynamicData.FieldTemplateUserControl

Protected Overrides Sub ExtractValues(ByVal dictionary As IOrderedDictionary)

dictionary("ResourceLeadershipLevelIDs") = (From chk As ListItem In cblLevels.Items _
    Where chk.Selected = True _
    Select CInt(chk.Value)).ToList()

End Sub

Protected Sub
    cblLevels_DataBound(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles cblLevels.DataBound

Dim dc As New AISDStaffToolDataContext

If TypeOf Me.Row Is Resource Then

Dim
    currRowID = DirectCast(Me.Row, Resource).TrainingResourceID

Dim selectedLevels = From l In dc.ResourceLeadershipLevels _
    Where l.TrainingResourceID = currRowID _
    Select l.LeadershipLevelID

For Each level In selectedLevels
    cblLevels.Items.FindByValue(level).Selected = True
    Next

ElseIf TypeOf Me
    .Row Is Mentor Then

Dim
    currRowID = DirectCast(Me.Row, Mentor).MentorID

Dim selectedLevels = From l In dc.MentorLeadershipLevels _
    Where l.MentorID = currRowID _
    Select l.LeadershipLevelID

For Each level In selectedLevels
    cblLevels.Items.FindByValue(level).Selected = True
    Next

End If

End Sub

End Class

I know this is kind of a hacked way of doing this since it doesn't handle all cases, but I'm trying to get this done quick and dirty for a client. When I debug, the code works fine to check the correct boxes when selecting a record. The ExtractValues also works fine.
     It's getting changed values and putting then back in the database that's a problem. In my partial class that handles Resources for example, I have included this code:
     Dim _resourceLeadershipLevelIDs As IEnumerable(Of Integer)
    Public Property ResourceLeadershipLevelIDs() As IEnumerable(Of Integer)
    Get
    End Get
    Set
    (ByVal value As IEnumerable(Of Integer))

_resourceLeadershipLevelIDs = value

End Set
    End Property

The setter is firing correctly when the user clicks the Update or Insert button on the page. The problem is if I am not changing any other values on the form, the OnValidate doesn't fire and I can't update the record properly. It also appears that the Resource Object doesn't hydrate, so I can't get the Parent ID to write the records in the junction table.
     Any idea of how to get this to work? I'm so close to getting this done it's driving me crazy!
    Thanks! 
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 5:15 PM

All replies

• User-1005219520 posted

I've created a kind of hack to store one to many records in a junction table using Dynamic Data and Linq. I have a simple checkboxlist control in the _Edit usercontrol. The code looks like this:

I know this is kind of a hacked way of doing this since it doesn't handle all cases, but I'm trying to get this done quick and dirty for a client. When I debug, the code works fine to check the correct boxes when selecting a record. The ExtractValues also works fine.
     It's getting changed values and putting then back in the database that's a problem. In my partial class that handles Resources for example, I have included this code:

The setter is firing correctly when the user clicks the Update or Insert button on the page. The problem is if I am not changing any other values on the form, the OnValidate doesn't fire and I can't update the record properly. It also appears that the Resource Object doesn't hydrate, so I can't get the Parent ID to write the records in the junction table.
     Any idea of how to get this to work? I'm so close to getting this done it's driving me crazy!
    Thanks!

Hi rheckart,

You might have better luck if you could post the code and details using NorthWind or AdventureWorksLT - then others can easily test/modify your code. I'll even convert your NW/AWLT post to c# (as that seems to be the most popular language here). The edit tool for this forum is not great, you might want to edit your post to make your questions word wrap.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 7:54 PM