Writing To Web.config <AppSettings> RRS feed

• Question

• User2103134756 posted

I want to be able to change some app settings programmatically because the settings are unrelated and too few to put in a table.  I understand the application will restart unless I set the restartOnExternalChanges to false. Not sure what would happen on the front end of the site if the app restarts.  I'm using an StateServer for the session state. I don't imagine there would be a problem. Not exactly sure though.

Saturday, May 12, 2018 1:35 AM

All replies

• User283571144 posted

Hi oneillj,

Not sure what would happen on the front end of the site if the app restarts.  I'm using an StateServer for the session state. I don't imagine there would be a problem. Not exactly sure though.

As far as I know,  if you edit the web config, the application pool of the site in IIS will restart (this typically takes a couple of seconds).

As a result the next page request(s) will be slower (since nothing will be cached anymore). In my opinion this is main problem if you config the session state as out-of-process.

If Session state is configured as out-of-process (database or service) then recycling the app pool won't lose any session state.

Best Regards,

Brando

Monday, May 14, 2018 2:54 AM