none
How to add ribbon to MFC dialog app? RRS feed

• Question

• When I create an MFC dialog app the wizard won't let me check Use Ribbon. But I can add a Ribbon resource after I create the app. My question is though, can I and how do I use this ribbon resource in my Dialog app? Is this possible?

RT

Wednesday, January 1, 2014 9:30 PM

All replies

• Good question. Did you get anywhere with this? I am interested too.
    Wednesday, August 2, 2017 9:29 AM
  • I did not get anywhere with this. It still interests me though. I have always wondered how MS could justify creating C# as a reaction to Java, lead 10,000 developers off that cliff, go back to standard C++ on which MFC was based, and not tell anyone what was happening. I predicted that they would do this a decade ago.

Now, in the mean time MS slipped in a refined MFC wizard. In the new wizard they still have Dialog based as an option and under that Dialog based options. These options are <none>, Use HTML dialog and No Enhanced MFC Controls. They could have easily put a Use Ribbon in there.

Other indications of their surreptitious moves toward (read: back to) MFC are VS2017 Individual Components: Visual C++ MFC for ARM, ARM64, x86 and x64. And if you want to visualize what VS20xx is going to look like, take a look at their newly refashioned WinDbg. It has a bright and shiny ribbon interface.

RT

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 6:57 PM