Design View is missing completely

Question

• I have installed Visal studio 2013 for windows phone applications. The problem was there was no design view for the application at all to be seen. How am I suppose to drag item from tool box if there is no design view.

Friday, September 05, 2014 10:11 AM

Answers

• You need to design the .xaml file, not the .cs file. The .cs file is for code, not design.

WinForms is unrelated and works very differently. WinForms doesn't separate code and design like the xaml based frameworks do. WinForms embeds the design right in the code.

• Marked as answer by Mobio Tuesday, September 09, 2014 4:41 AM
    Saturday, September 06, 2014 5:00 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Could you post a screen shot of what you are seeing?
    Friday, September 05, 2014 11:16 PM
  • the website wont allow me to post screenshot

Saturday, September 06, 2014 1:02 AM
  • the screen shot is in this link because I couldn't put it straight forward

http://tiny.cc/design_view

Saturday, September 06, 2014 1:11 AM
  • That's normal for the App.xaml page. What happens if you open up MainPage.xaml or create a new Windows Phone page? Can you see the design view there?
    Saturday, September 06, 2014 1:38 AM
  • When I try open new project for windows phone it only shows code editor. can't find where is designer editor .

usually for other projects it appear at start but that doesn't not seem to be happening for windows phone project.

is there a way to bring it up or is it hidden? I don't know I ran out of solutions I tried to seach everywhere in program. the only thing that says design view is Shift+f7 but that bring up the same what was shown in the picture above.

Saturday, September 06, 2014 4:37 AM
  • You'll only see the design view if you're editing a designable file.

As CNiu says, the error you see is correct: app.Xaml is not designable and so the designer isn't available. If you edit your mainpage.Xaml then the designer will be available.

Saturday, September 06, 2014 6:51 AM
    Owner
  • Hello

I have also the same problem is this because your computer has less memory and less hardware capabilities so it says loading design view but it never loads and also it does not display due to some errors in xaml. please check if you have no error in xaml and also your system has 4GB of RAM minimum then re-installing will fix the problem.

Hope that will be helpful and please don't forget to mark as answer.

Muhammad Asad

Saturday, September 06, 2014 6:54 AM
  • Muhammad, that is not relevant to the error that Mobio posted.

Mobio, check out the Verify Your Account 22 thread in the Forums Issues (not product support) for help verifying your account.

--Rob

Saturday, September 06, 2014 7:00 AM
    Owner
  • Thank you for replys but I'm afraid I wasn't clear enough. I'll explain further in this screenshot example of windows form app is made where it shows that [Design View] available at start:

tiny.cc/form12

On the other hand, which this is the problem I make new project for it and I'm editing the .CS file yet no [Design view] to be seen which is my main problem. and 2nd screenshot shows this

tiny.cc/designplease

Saturday, September 06, 2014 4:19 PM
  • You need to design the .xaml file, not the .cs file. The .cs file is for code, not design.

WinForms is unrelated and works very differently. WinForms doesn't separate code and design like the xaml based frameworks do. WinForms embeds the design right in the code.

• Marked as answer by Mobio Tuesday, September 09, 2014 4:41 AM
    Saturday, September 06, 2014 5:00 PM
    Owner
  • Thx a lot for your answer Mr. Rob I'm just trying to start programming for windows phone. anyway from what I understand from you , I have to develop the GUI though xaml file and the code though .CS is that how it works for windows phone development?

sorry to bother you

Saturday, September 06, 2014 6:26 PM