Total beginner: Recommend learning material RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I have done a little bit of Visual Basic 2008 earlier but now beginning with C#. I would like all the experts here to write how they learnt the language and please recommend some good books and learning material for a novice.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 3:58 AM

Answers

• Microsoft inside series books are the best; The one i would recommend is CLR via C#. Wrox professional series books are also quite good

apart from the books lot of good material available on MSDN too; MSDN Magzine, various product blogs(http://blogs.msdn.com/clrteam/ are also good source of knowledge  

Manish Sati
    • Marked as answer by Harry Zhu Wednesday, May 19, 2010 3:29 AM
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 4:10 AM
  • If you want to learn  c#, you definitely need to know about .Net framework which is what CLR via c# does.

But i think it might not be recommended to a beginner. If you have a good knowledge of c++ and have programmed for windows application, then this book would be quite beneficial.

Beside whichever books are suggested by community members. I will suggest you to  refer to msdn whenever possible.

I find MSDN "how do i videos" very helpful 

Thursday, May 13, 2010 4:35 AM
  • i started with the 'Home and Learn' website from the UK.. they offer a very friendly beginers version of c#. it has made it easier to move into the more advanced books.

new to this - vs 2008, ult 64
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 5:47 PM
  • I see this question several times a day from newbie’s to professionals. I have listed the best C# books that I have read so far.

1. ECMA-334 C# Language Specification . – FREE book. This is probably the best place to start. Read it backwards and forwards and you can even request a hard copy.
    2. Absolute Beginners Guide to C Sharp 2nd Edition – Used this early on and found it very useful even if its game programming.
    3. C-Sharp 2.0 - The Complete Reference , 2nd Edition (McGraw-Hill, 2006) – One of the most useful books that is always with me. It contains short example code and is very well written.
    4. Dot Net Zero - Charles Petzold   - FREE book and you should definately give it a read.
    5. C Sharp in Depth by Jon Skeet -  Probably one of the most in depth books on C Sharp and definitely not for beginners. Jon Skeet knows C# like no other. I would consider this book the Bible of C#. If you understand 50% of this book, you have a good understanding of the language. 
    6. CLR via C Sharp 3rd Edition – I just started reading this book and it is another book thats not for beginners. If you really want to understand the CLR then give this book a try.

Well, thats it. I hope you enjoy the books as I have spent a lot of time researching different C# books.

My .NET Blog: http://michaelcrump.net
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 11:01 PM

All replies

• Microsoft inside series books are the best; The one i would recommend is CLR via C#. Wrox professional series books are also quite good

apart from the books lot of good material available on MSDN too; MSDN Magzine, various product blogs(http://blogs.msdn.com/clrteam/ are also good source of knowledge  

Manish Sati
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 4:10 AM
  • If you want to learn  c#, you definitely need to know about .Net framework which is what CLR via c# does.

But i think it might not be recommended to a beginner. If you have a good knowledge of c++ and have programmed for windows application, then this book would be quite beneficial.

Beside whichever books are suggested by community members. I will suggest you to  refer to msdn whenever possible.

I find MSDN "how do i videos" very helpful 

Thursday, May 13, 2010 4:35 AM
  • I have already developed some applications in VB.NET, so I have some experience in that. So, I would be able to learn through CLR through C#? I am not sure about the book's availability here. Can't opt for the online buying option since I don't have a credit card at present
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 2:01 PM
  • i started with the 'Home and Learn' website from the UK.. they offer a very friendly beginers version of c#. it has made it easier to move into the more advanced books.

new to this - vs 2008, ult 64
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 5:47 PM
  • I see this question several times a day from newbie’s to professionals. I have listed the best C# books that I have read so far.

1. ECMA-334 C# Language Specification . – FREE book. This is probably the best place to start. Read it backwards and forwards and you can even request a hard copy.
    2. Absolute Beginners Guide to C Sharp 2nd Edition – Used this early on and found it very useful even if its game programming.
    3. C-Sharp 2.0 - The Complete Reference , 2nd Edition (McGraw-Hill, 2006) – One of the most useful books that is always with me. It contains short example code and is very well written.
    4. Dot Net Zero - Charles Petzold   - FREE book and you should definately give it a read.
    5. C Sharp in Depth by Jon Skeet -  Probably one of the most in depth books on C Sharp and definitely not for beginners. Jon Skeet knows C# like no other. I would consider this book the Bible of C#. If you understand 50% of this book, you have a good understanding of the language. 
    6. CLR via C Sharp 3rd Edition – I just started reading this book and it is another book thats not for beginners. If you really want to understand the CLR then give this book a try.

Well, thats it. I hope you enjoy the books as I have spent a lot of time researching different C# books.

My .NET Blog: http://michaelcrump.net
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 11:01 PM