none
Color Coding Tasks in Project 2013 based on late/on schedule status RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a macro out there that color-codes the tasks in MS Project 2013 based on the task status (late/on schedule)?

Thank you.

Friday, September 26, 2014 6:11 PM

All replies

• In the Gantt view(s), I want to change the the color of the bar for any task which is behind schedule or Late. (for example: within MS Project Pro there is a solution of  a "Check-Box" found in the ribbon > under the Format Tab & w/ bar style editing).   

My goal is to have a very quick way of seeing which tasks are late when I look at the whole project (without filtering). If there is a better way, please let me know.

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 6:13 PM
  • Hi,

You could create a custom field (task type, flag) with the following formula and no rollup at summary level :

IIf([Status]=2;Yes;No)

Status equal 2 being for late tasks.

Then create a new bar style (under the task bar style) for tasks which have the flag 1 to "yes".

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

• Marked as answer by C-Hansen Thursday, September 25, 2014 4:57 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by C-Hansen Thursday, September 25, 2014 7:26 PM
    • Proposed as answer by C-Hansen Thursday, October 2, 2014 1:38 PM
    Wednesday, September 24, 2014 6:32 PM
  • If you have further question on this post, please do not hesitate to ask.

Hope this helps,

Friday, September 26, 2014 12:51 PM
  • Hi,

Please find this article about VBA code for coloring tasks. You'll have to adjust it based on the [status] field equal to 2 (late tasks).

See also this reference:

http://www.applepark.co.uk/how-to-automatically-change-the-colour-of-a-task-name/

Also have a look to this post I answered few days ago to color the bar style for late tasks.

Hope this helps,

Friday, September 26, 2014 6:15 PM
  • raminraiszadeh,

Do you want to color the text font or the Gantt Bars?

If the references given by Guillaume don't give you want you need, let us know and I'll code something up for you.

John

Friday, September 26, 2014 7:49 PM
  • Im looking to change the color of the Gantt Bar(s) [in PWA-13] if the task(s) become late or if they are not on schedule per % complete. (without using filters) as seen in the Project Summary and Task Summary Views. 

I've tried creating the custom fields approach (as suggested above) however, PWA does not have a "Status" field. I was able to incorporate in MS Project Pro, but not in PWA-13.

Thursday, October 2, 2014 1:46 PM
  • After a few weeks of experimenting, I got the above solution to work within MS Project Pro; however, I wasn't able to make it work in PWA-13.  I couldn't find the field "Status Indicator" or the "Late Tasks" Bar Style in PWA.  I am new to this PWA and could you any more detailed insight you maybe able to provide.  

Thank you for your patience and your advice.  I apologize for begin such a green rookie. 

Thursday, October 2, 2014 1:50 PM
  • Hi! No apologize, it's always good to learn!

I didn't understand that you were looking to format the bar style in PWA. The solution I proposed suits for MS Project Pro only. Here is how to do it why PWA.

• Go to the server settings, look and feel then Gantt chart formats,
    • Select Gantt Diagram in the drop down list (or any other Gantt n),
    • Select the checkbox near to the "delay" row
    • Choose a formatting,

• Finally go to server settings, look and feel then manage views,
    • Select the project view you want to customized (summary for example),
    • Apply the Gannt format that you just customized.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCP |

Thursday, October 2, 2014 2:04 PM
  • Sweet.  I found, formatted, and applied your suggestions. thx However, when I opened up several projects within PWA to test the new format I did not work.  What does the Delay Bar Identify?

Does the "Delay" Bar reference the current date vs task finish date and %Complete? (or %Work Complete?). Maybe my data is missing/incomplete.  

Our Projects are being tracked using %complete, at the moment.  

Thursday, October 2, 2014 5:59 PM
  • Hi,

The delay indicator is based on the %complete versus the status date. Meaning that if you have some remaning work BEFORE the status date, then the task will be flagged as delayed.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCP |

Thursday, October 2, 2014 6:19 PM
  • That is what I thought.  Any Idea why my tasks aren't getting flagged or changing color?

Do I need to do anything else besides formatting the "delayed" gantt barr to make it show up?

• Edited by C-Hansen Thursday, October 2, 2014 7:57 PM
    Thursday, October 2, 2014 7:54 PM