none
Why does the TOC style right indent sometimes affect the page number? RRS feed

Answers

• Hi Dave,

This specific example turned out to be challenging to track down. However, I have tracked down the root cause of the observed behavior. 

Starting with Word 2013, Word does not support Tab Stops defined on or beyond the right margin. That is a change in behavior from older versions of Word, and the change in behavior is 'By Design'.

In terms of setting a Tab Stop on, or beyond the right margin. That is something that people should not be doing going forward. Documents created with older versions of Word which do have Tab Stops set on or beyond the right Margin should have their Tab Stops updated to no longer be set on, or beyond the right Margin. 

Will Gregg | open specifications

Saturday, December 9, 2017 5:08 PM

All replies

• Hi David:

I have alerted the open specifications team regarding your inquiry. A member of the team will be in touch soon.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 7:44 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Dave,

Thanks for raising your questioning regarding the ISO-29500/ECMA-276 specifications on how Word implements the TOC definition. I will be investigating your question. 

I will take a look at the sample you provided and do some investigation work about what Word does in TOC generation to determine what differences exist between the two and let you know. 

Sincerely,

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 7:57 PM
  • Hi Will;

Any update?

thanks - dave

What we did for the last 6 months - Made the world's coolest reporting & docgen system even more amazing

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 5:03 PM
  • Hi Dave,

I have not been able to determine why the TOC is being impacted by the paragraph styles in the manner that the document shows yet. On my own, I replicate your experience where the TOC is not impacted by the style. 

I am looking into whether there is a relationship between the TOC style and the paragraph style that is not readily apparent; which would explain the behavior you are seeing. 

Will Gregg | open specifications. 

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 8:02 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Thanks for your patience as I continued my investigation on this. I have replicated the behavior you are seeing.

I am working on a detailed explanation and should have that available for you within a few hours. In brief, the cause of the varying indents is a mixture of the indention (left and right) and tab stop (left and right) settings on each of the TOC, TOC1, ... styles.   

Thursday, November 16, 2017 4:40 PM
  • Hi Dave,

As I mentioned. The cause of the difference in the placement of the TOC entry page numbers is being caused by differences within the definitions of the  TOC 1, TOC 2, [...] Style elements. Specifically the INDENTION settings.

The TOC 1 Style definition defines a Right INDENTION of 0.05"
    The TOC 2 Style definition defines a Right INDENTION of -0.05"
    THE TOC 3 Style definition defines a Right INDENTION of 0.37"

As a result of the Style definitions. TOC entries with the TOC 2 Style assigned to them will have their page numbers shifted slightly to the left, since the Right INDENTION is -0.05". TOC entries with the TOC 3 Style assigned with have their page numbers shifted, quite noticeably, to the right since the Right INDENTION is 0.37"

If it would help. I can provide a small generic document that I created where adjusting the TOC Style elements replicates the behavior in the document you provided. 

Friday, November 17, 2017 6:38 PM
  • Hi Will;

Please take a look at Indented_TOC.docx. It also has a right indent on the TOC2 style. But that does not change the position of the page number.

Why does it do so in Bug_23367.docx but not in Indented_TOC.docx?

thanks - dave

What we did for the last 6 months - Made the world's coolest reporting & docgen system even more amazing

Monday, November 27, 2017 6:46 PM
  • Hi Dave,

I'll take a look at indented_TOC.docx and see if I can determine why the TOC behavior is not the same as BUG_23367.docx. 

Monday, November 27, 2017 11:48 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Thanks for your patience as I looked into the indented_TOC.docx file and while it was not generating the indented TOC behavior. 

I am not complete with my investigation; but I can explain why the behavior is occurring. What is occurring with this file is that the defined Tab Stops match the Right Margin. Increasing the Right Margin by even 0.01" will result in the indentation behaving as expected. 

What I am investigating at this time is the interaction between the Right Margin and the Tab Stops and what the expected behavior should be in this case.

Sincerely,

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 7:34 PM
  • Hi Will;

If this is a "#@*% if I know" I can live with that. This is something people shouldn't do. But if that's the case, I need that answer from you to close this out with our customer that it's not clear what settings causes this to happen.

thanks - dave

Saturday, December 9, 2017 12:09 AM
  • Hi Dave,

This specific example turned out to be challenging to track down. However, I have tracked down the root cause of the observed behavior. 

Starting with Word 2013, Word does not support Tab Stops defined on or beyond the right margin. That is a change in behavior from older versions of Word, and the change in behavior is 'By Design'.

In terms of setting a Tab Stop on, or beyond the right margin. That is something that people should not be doing going forward. Documents created with older versions of Word which do have Tab Stops set on or beyond the right Margin should have their Tab Stops updated to no longer be set on, or beyond the right Margin. 

Saturday, December 9, 2017 5:08 PM
  • Saturday, December 9, 2017 5:47 PM