none
Newbie Question - expanding Site View window RRS feed

• Question

• Hello and thanks for the help! New user here.

I have successfully popped out and placed different windows (Folder List, Toolbox, etc.) in various places across my 4 screen (monitor) setup, but I cannot figure out how to re-size the Site View window to fill my whole screen on the main monitor. It remains about 60% of the screen size, with no handles to grab to expand it or pop it out. It seems to just be cemented in place at a small size for some reason.

Suggestions? (I know I am probably missing something obvious here....)a

Friday, February 1, 2013 10:54 PM

All replies

• If you are talking about the design view panel, I am not sure if there is any way to adjust it for multi-monitor applications. OTOH, there is a Modify Page Sizes selection on the Page Size menu (far right on the Status Bar). You might be able to enter a custom Page Size there that would allow you to fill the screen. Give that a try.

It should be noted, of course, that you will want to target page sizes likely to be used by your visitors. Not everyone has a 30" monitor...   ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Edited by paladyn Friday, February 1, 2013 11:09 PM
    Friday, February 1, 2013 11:05 PM
  • Site View is not a movable/expandable panel.  It takes up whatever space is left between any pinned panels beside it.  You can expand it to the full size of your open EW window (exclusive of the menu bars) by closing the side panels - which I don't think is what you want - or un-pinning them (dragging them in front of it).

Friday, February 1, 2013 11:12 PM
  • Right, what Kathy said. I experimented a little, unpinning the side panels (auto-hide), and the design view widened out to 1277px (on a 1366px screen). Unlike the side panels, which are draggable, both the code view and design view panels are fixed, integral to the EW UI.

Besides, frankly, the design view is only marginally useful. It is not a browser (it has to do things no browser does, displaying outlines, visual aids, element labels, asp.net common action menus, etc.), and cannot be, given that there are five different versions of the Trident engine (IE) in the wild, all of which display differently, an unknown number of Firefox, Opera, and Safari versions, and a highly moving target Chrome engine, which sometimes seems to change daily. There is no way that a single in-built rendering engine for design view can possibly account for all of that variation. Furthermore, the design view is completely static, unable to display even CSS :hover effects, much less render javascript or server-side scripting.

No, the best way to check your work, especially with so much screen real estate, is to keep actual browsers open to the page under development. As you work, simply save your changes, then focus the browser and hit F5, or click the Refresh icon, and view the output in an actual, functioning browser, with all dynamic effects available and working. EW is not a WYSIWYG application, and design view is little more than a sketchpad view of your pages. Believe me, with all of that screen real estate, Preview In Browser is your friend.  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Saturday, February 2, 2013 9:32 PM