Acceptable Parameter Types in Reporting Services RRS feed

• Question

• I have a web service I am using to create a report in SQL Reporting Services 2008 Business Intelligence Studio.  One of the parameters is an array of a string.  I am not sure how to pass that in the query.

When I try to run it and I got the following error.  (The XmlDP query is invalid. Invalid data type “Array” on soap method parameter “codes”.)

<Query>

<Method Name="GetBogus" Namespace="http://www.tempuri.org/">

<Parameters>

<Parameter Name="codes" Type="Array" >

</Parameter>

<Parameter Name="startDate" Type="Date" >

<DefaultValue>2010-08-17T00:00:00.000</DefaultValue>

</Parameter>

<Parameter Name="endDate" Type="Date" >

<DefaultValue>2010-09-23T00:00:00.000</DefaultValue>

</Parameter>

</Parameters>

</Method>

<SoapAction>http://www.tempuri.org/IBogusService/GetBogus</SoapAction>

</Query>

• Edited by doctorbenson Friday, September 24, 2010 12:13 PM In response to Goeff's question it probably should have been in the initial post.
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 7:09 PM

Answers

• In which case try passing it as a string - would then need to use a SPLIT function on it to get it into an array to be used in code. I thought this had gone away in 2008 (in earlier versions, the only way to get multi-values was to pass them as strings and split afterwards)
    Rgds Geoff
    • Marked as answer by doctorbenson Monday, September 27, 2010 11:50 AM
    Monday, September 27, 2010 12:18 AM

All replies

• In 2008, I believe you are ok passing that through as an array
    Rgds Geoff
    • Proposed as answer by Jerry Nee Friday, September 24, 2010 7:38 AM
    Friday, September 24, 2010 1:37 AM
  • I tried to run it and I got the following error.  (The XmlDP query is invalid. Invalid data type “Array” on soap method parameter “codes”.)

Friday, September 24, 2010 12:09 PM
  • In which case try passing it as a string - would then need to use a SPLIT function on it to get it into an array to be used in code. I thought this had gone away in 2008 (in earlier versions, the only way to get multi-values was to pass them as strings and split afterwards)
    Rgds Geoff
    • Marked as answer by doctorbenson Monday, September 27, 2010 11:50 AM
    Monday, September 27, 2010 12:18 AM
  • Ok fair enough.  I wish there was more documentation on this because it is very difficult to find any information on this. 
    Monday, September 27, 2010 11:52 AM