none
Does anybody have a solution to secondary workflow problem?

Question

• I have been scouring the net looking for a solution to a problem that I am having and one that it seems lots of people have.

Despite this, it seems that no-one has a solution that works - at least for me.

We have Office 365 Business Premium - we are running a Sharepoint System with multiple lists.

I am using SPD2013 for designing na d publishing our process based workflows.

The thing I really want to be able to do is have a workflow start on item creation BUT that item will have been created by another workflow in a separate list.

I have read about and enabled elevated permission and tried working within an "App Step", I cant use impersonation step as I believe this is no longer supported and I am losing the will to live with this - surely this is a ridiculously common requirement yet I can find no way of making it work.

Would anyone know of any way or anybody who could help, either by guiding me through, or providing powershell code, or any other possible way to make my wish possible??

Thank you for taking the time to read this and thank you in advance for any suggestions!

D

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 9:09 PM

All replies

• Hi D14ORJ,

According to your description, the workflow won’t trigger automatically when the item is created by another workflow.

I have done a test in my SharePoint 2013 and I cannot reproduce your issue.

1. Create a list called "ListA", create a SharePoint 2013 platform workflow "WorkflowA" on "ListA" with a simple action "Log to History list" into the "workflow", then set the workflow automatically start when an item is created, publish it.
    2. Create a list called "ListB", create a SharePoint 2013 platform workflow "WorkflowB" with "Create List item" action to create item on "ListA" and set the workflow start automatically when an item is created, publish it.
    3. Add an item in ListB, the "WorkflowB" start, it create an item in the ListA, the new item can trigger the "WorkflowA".

Are you create SharePoint 2010 platform workflow or SharePoint 2013 platform workflow?

First make sure you select the start options “start the workflow when an item is created” in SharePoint Designer.

Then check which account you are using, a workflow won’t start automatically under “System Account”. Make sure you are not using "System Account".

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 7:23 AM
  • Hi Lisa,

Really appreciate your reply.

The scenario is as you outline above although this is SharePoint Online (i do not know if this makes any difference) that i am working with.

In answer to your questions -

I am creating a SharePoint 2013 platform workflow using SPD 2013.

The “start the workflow when an item is created” option is checked.

In regards to your final point;

Then check which account you are using, a workflow won’t start automatically under “System Account”. Make sure you are not using "System Account".

How do I check this and more importantly how do I change this??

Thank you in advance for taking the time to help me.

D

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 12:57 PM
  • Hi D14ORJ,

I have done a test in SharePoint online. In SharePoint online, only the SharePoint 2010 platform workflow will be trigged when an item is created by another workflow.

1. Create a list called "ListA", create a SharePoint 2010 platform workflow "WorkflowA" on "ListA" with a simple action "Log to History list" into the "workflow", then set the workflow automatically start when an item is created, publish it.
    2. Create a list called "ListB", create a SharePoint 2013 platform workflow "WorkflowB" with "Create List item" action to create item on "ListA" and set the workflow start automatically when an item is created, publish it.
    3. Add an item in ListB, the "WorkflowB" start, it create an item in the ListA, the new item can trigger the "WorkflowA".

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, January 27, 2017 1:13 PM
  • Hi D14ORJ,

Is there anything update?

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if it helps.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 8:29 AM