Silverlight ADO.NET support for disconned subset of System.Data.DataSet RRS feed

• General discussion

• In order to leverage our existing web services (which usually output ADO Datasets as XML strings) I would like to know how to "rehydrate" these XML formatted datasets into usable objects in Silverlight.  Is there something like a lightweight, disconnected, ADO dataset object in Silverlight?

Thursday, April 24, 2008 2:34 PM

All replies

• Currently, there is no component in Silverlight that supports deserializing DataSet Diffgrams. 

We are investigating whether to provide that support or not in Silverlight vNext.  Just curious, but does your app require a DataSet in silverlight - or would be deserializing the DataSet into business objects suffice?

Thursday, April 24, 2008 9:01 PM
  • Andrew,

Thank you for the response.  I apologize for not responding sooner, I just opened this email account and have not been checking its in-box.

Our app requires DataSets.  Because we have so many stored procedures, our web service is designed so that it can be used to call any of our stored procedures and return their results as XML formatted DataSets.  All of our buisness tier (and ui tier) code is written to convert this XML back into DataSets.

---Sam

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 7:48 PM
  • In some scenarios we are forced to use dataset instead of other structures, For example in one of our project, there are hundres of queries, created, modified and stored in database by developers/users at any time and at runtime these are fetched, processed and executed without any prior knowledge. If there is another way in silverlight to address this, please let us know. Thanks.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 1:53 PM
  • Our application (which we are trying to rebuild using Silverlight) has over 1400 Stored Procedures (and is growing).  The overhead of creating a web service for each these and keeping them up to date is too much.  Our Silverlight dlls grow huge with nothing but the support for these web services and the really sad part is that we do very little with databinding. 

It seems unlikely that Microsoft is going to provide an ADO like data set for Silverlight in the near future, so I am going to have to spend a lot of time creating a custom one that will have to be thrown away when MS finally does release one.  I feel that an ADO like data set is absolutely necessary for Silverlight to grow into a useful large-scale application deployment platform.

Silverlight is absolutely amazing from almost every perspective, with one notable exception, that being dataset access.  It is very easy for us to write a generic web services to call any stored procedure, but there is no built in way to handle the XML data results.  Sooner or later, this issue will be addressed by Microsoft and I hope it is sooner rather than later.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 4:53 PM

• I think strongly that Silverlight should support DataSet. In our application, Most queries are Run-Time queries. We have list pages which use DataGrid to display data. User can select columns they want to see, can define filters based on every possible column as their query criteria. Many objects are extendable which means our customer (big companies) can add extended fields to the existing object by adding new fields in the table. And those newly added fields are shown in the column selection list right away.  So there is no way we can pre-define our Object or build SQL query in design time. I have not seen single example to show how LinQ (or Dynamic LinQ) can work in our case.

So far our application is depending on ADO.DataSet to hold the data from Data tier to the UI tier. I'm very disappointed to know that SL 2 will not have DataSet support. I was hoping to see it in beta 2. The generic feature of DataSet is not found in any other technology. With DataSet,  we write only one WFC WebService to take a Filter object as parameter and return DataSet for all the calls for getting data.

I hope Microsoft will see the need for DataSet support in silverlight and address it in the later release. For now we have to figure out a way ourselves.

Friday, May 23, 2008 4:04 PM
  • Hi,

I too would love to see DataSets in silverlight...

We have all our business logic written in our own code generated Typed DataSets, we also load and access our app's meta data using DataSets.

I would need DataSets in order to re-use my business layer code in the browser

Have validation, default values, and code to do stuff like if one columns changes, update another one etc..

If I could use this in silverlight this would mean massively less postbacks to server and generally richer UX.

At the moment all I can see happening is very chatty interface between UI and app server or copy and paste or totally rewrite by many 1000's of lines of business logic code!!!!

Thanks,

Mike G

Friday, October 10, 2008 7:32 AM
  • Hello,

Add on another whom would like to see DataSets available in Silverlight.  These have become pretty commonly used for so many situations, in-fact I have yet to see a data-driven Business Oriented application written in .NET that did not utilize DataSets.  Adding another "layer" unnecessarily just hurts maintenance and long-term scalability in my opinion. 

I'm very disappointed to see that DataSets were not one of the most basic features incorporated into Silverlight's capabilities and can only hope to see them in the near future...

GS
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 7:54 PM
  • Hi guys,

Here is what you are looking for:

http://silverlightdataset.codeplex.com

Enjoy your coding

Vitaly
    Friday, August 21, 2009 3:04 PM
  • Please read this blog entry: http://bit.ly/bl0GMg

It demonstrates that many VS developers are pretty miffed about the lack of DataSet support in Silverlight 4.

Microsoft have dropped the ball here - a very bad design decision which will hurt Silverlights adoption in the business software world.

Regards from TriSys Business Software

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 10:15 AM
  • Jamie

This link worked for me - here is the bit.ly redirection url:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/adonet/archive/2009/05/26/dataset-and-silverlight.aspx

Can you read this now?

Regards, Garry@TriSys

TriSys Business Software
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 10:21 AM
  • To sum up, experienced developers have architected solid and reliable back-end data services tiers which are able to pass ADO datasets to front-end applications. Those front end applications could be WinForms or ASP.Net, or even mobile applications.

The front-end components such as grids and client-side libraries are able to manipulate and render datasets to the end user and process interaction.

Experienced developers want to re-use their existing back-end services, but write a new front-end in Silverlight to gain cross-platform deployment.

Unfortunately, Microsoft's decision to not support DataSets in Silverlight applications means that experienced developers only have 3 choices:

a. Re-write the entire back end services using ORM and RIA Services or whatever else the script-kiddy/inexperienced line of business developers at Microsoft think is todays emperors clothes, or

b. Wait until the third party market provides DataSet support for existing mature data services tiers, or

c. Ignore Silverlight and use another RIA deployment framework such as Flash, JQuery, AWT etc..

If I worked at Microsoft, I would have strong words with the Silverlight people who made this decision and ask them why they chose not to support DataSets and therefore alienate Microsoft partners and Visual Studio developers?

Regards, Garry @ TriSys

TriSys Business Software
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 10:34 AM
  • I found another debate on this issue on Shawn Wildermuth's blog at http://wildermuth.com/2010/02/21/The_State_of_Data_Access_in_Silverlight

This post caught my attention because I suspect he has hit the nail on the head:

Silverlight – Great
    .Net – Great
    Ria Services – Junk
    Entiy Framework – Junk
    Please Please Mr Google – Hire the guy in charge of Entity Framework too!
    I can’t wait to put down the High school science projects and get down to writing some business applications again.

Rob (Posted Thursday, May 27, 2010 )

TriSys Business Software
    Monday, January 10, 2011 8:57 AM
  • Absolutely agree with all those guys who posted some variation of the idea that Microsoft screwed up by not including AT THE VERY LEAST some built-in way to handle deserializing datasets sent via web services. 

Microsoft screwed up.  Now I have to waste probably a whole lot of time searching around for, or inventing, some approach that will be useful to us - or forget about using Silverlight at all.

Thursday, April 21, 2011 12:17 PM