none
Create installer for outlook 2007 add in using Visual Studio 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a problem with creating setup based on outlook 2007 add in template.

I creates solution based on Outlook add in 2007 and I add simple form in that solution. After that I put some basic logic on my form and deploy it on development machine. When I open mail my form is there and everything works fine. After that I add Setup wizard project  on my solution and build it. After that I get instalation and install it on another computer but add in doesn't show up in mail. 

Any good reference how to do this job.

Alex

Edit:

I create add in on .net 4.0 framework and use VS 2010 to create suetup. I follow this procedure on msdn in VS 2008 .net 3.5 with sample setup and everything works fine.

I try to change framework in VS 2010 to .net 3.5 and I have a bounch of errors for missing reference.

Any idea how to solve problem?

• Moved by Nick Wan Sunday, July 31, 2011 6:48 AM msdn (From:Office 2007 Application Compatibility)
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 1:05 PM

All replies

• Hi Alex,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

Would you please clarify some quesitons:

1. Is your customer's computer use Outlook 2007?
    2. Doese you develop your add-in use Outlook 2010's template?
    3. Do you check the registry hive /HKEY_Current_User/SoftWare/Microsoft/Office/Outlook/Addins/[your add-in's name]/LoadBehavior's value?

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, August 1, 2011 12:17 PM
  • Hello Alex, Have you looked here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsto/thread/1666d2b0-a4d0-41e8-ad86-5eab3542de1e It contains nice tables that breakdown each development scenario (framework version, Visual Studio Version, and Office Version) followed by the guides to each. Hope this might help. Ed
    Monday, August 1, 2011 12:31 PM
  • Hi Alex,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

Would you please clarify some quesitons:

1. Is your customer's computer use Outlook 2007?
    2. Doese you develop your add-in use Outlook 2010's template?
    3. Do you check the registry hive /HKEY_Current_User/SoftWare/Microsoft/Office/Outlook/Addins/[your add-in's name]/LoadBehavior's value?

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Answers for question

1. Yes it's use 0utlook 2007.

2. No I develop in outlook 2007 add in because I need add in for that version.

3. Yes I check it and it is 3

Monday, August 1, 2011 2:01 PM
  • crvc,

If the LoadBehavior’s value is 3, it will work fine. I suppose that you have some error logic code in your add-in, would you please show me some snippets to reproduce your issue?

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 3:35 AM
  • I think we don't understand each other. On develop machine everything works fine but I have problem with installation on another work station. I think the issue is in using .net 4.0 framework. When I install my add in it is on trusted group but it doesn't visible on mail ribbon.

Simply I need procedure for creating setup for outlook 2007 add in in VS 2010. Is there any article like that.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 9:06 AM
  • Hi crvc,

It’s based on my experience that I’m not able to agree your issue has relationship with .Net 4.0 framework based on your description. If you distrust it, please try to rebuild your add-in which target to .Net 3.5 framework and install it to your target machine to see whether similar situation will be occurred.

I suppose whether there has conflict between the add-ins on your target machine. Would you please disable other add-ins to see whether your ribbon will be shown?

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by 许阳(无锡)Moderator Tuesday, August 9, 2011 6:09 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by crvc Wednesday, August 24, 2011 2:02 PM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 6:57 AM
  • Hi,

Basically your answer is not answer but I found workaround and resolve it with creating same solution on VS 2008 with 3.5 framework. After that my setup work property and I am able to install in on every other computer that have Outlook 2007. But now I surface another issue. After feedback from user I create some correction in code and rebuild solution to take fresh setup. Now when I try to install new version of Add in I have following message that Is same version of application on my machine and that cannot proceed with installation. Before this step I successfully uninstall my first version of add in.

After that I clear application cache with Mage.exe (this is not good option because need sdk to be installed) and after that I stressfuly install  my add in but after that it doesn't appear in ribbon of my outlook item.

Any suggestion about this.

Thanks,

Alex

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 2:14 PM