none
Task Name - Field length Change RRS feed

• Question

• Can we change the task name length for team members when adding a new task?

Regards, Syed Faizan ur Rehman, CBPM®,PRINCE2®, MCTS

Sunday, September 21, 2014 9:21 AM

Answers

• Hi Syed,

Unfortunately this cannot be configured. Either you find a way to live with it by introducing a naming convention to shorten the task name, or you can always redevelop the feature and adapt it.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Monday, September 22, 2014 11:09 AM

All replies

• Hi Syed,

If you want to change the task field length, it is not possible. It is a native field which is predefined in the system.

But if you want to change the length of the task name itself (for example "design" by "system design"), then it it possible since what matters is the task UID and not the task name.

Hope this helps,

Sunday, September 21, 2014 12:27 PM
  • In addition to my previous answer, I'd mention that the task name field is defined in the DBs schemas to 255 characters and it cannot be changed.

Still not sure what you meant in your question, please give more details.

Hope this helps,

Sunday, September 21, 2014 1:22 PM
  • What I meant in my question, when a user goes to Tasks-->Add Task , the field that states "Task Name" does not allow to key in more than 50 chars, is there a way to increase this?

Monday, September 22, 2014 7:31 AM
  • Hi Syed,

Unfortunately this cannot be configured. Either you find a way to live with it by introducing a naming convention to shorten the task name, or you can always redevelop the feature and adapt it.

Hope this helps,

Monday, September 22, 2014 11:09 AM
  • Hi Guillaume,

Well I can live with the length, but something that really ticks in my mind is in Schedule you add activity of couple of hundreds of characters, once assigned becomes Task for users so why Add task is limited? This is just my thought may be MS is already thinking this also :).

Thanks for your feedback.

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 8:44 AM