none
I have problems publishing my website, the layout is all messed up. can anyone help me? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I'm a new EW4 user. I'm having troubles with my site once I have published it as the layout of the page is going all over the place, the images are not uploaded and the links don't work...Well it's a real mess...

http://www.learn-english-today-editions.com/

If you have any idea how I could solve all these, that will be fantastic!

Many thanks!

Monday, August 18, 2014 6:04 PM

All replies

• Apparently the style sheet and images were not published.
    Open your styles folder and publish the style sheet.
    Open your images folder and publish your images.

Another option is to open your local site.

Then select Site > Site settings and check the "Maintain the site with hidden metadata" box.
    Then click Tools > Recalculate hyperlinks.

Then republish the site.

Expression Web MVP

Monday, August 18, 2014 6:52 PM
  • You have a plethora of issues. Oh, and thank you for providing a link to the site. Without it we are pretty much helpless, while with it, we can provide the kind of analysis to follow.

First, your layout is blown because your CSS files are inaccessible, so none of your styling is being applied. Your link href "www.learn-english-today-editions.com/styles/exercise.css" returns a 404 (File Not Found) error. Also, further down in the source code you have an img tag with a src of "C:\Users\Gérard\Documents\My Web Sites\LETE-EW\images\logo-learn-english-today_150x150_fond-bleu.jpg," which, since it points to your local hard drive, obviously cannot be found by your remote server.

Elsewhere in your source can be found constructs such as 

"             

"

and

"<p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p>"

which indicates that you are using spaces and the Enter key to do positioning, which is not appropriate and can cause your layout to break easily. You should be aware that EW is a professional development tool, and that you must know HTML and CSS to use it, as well as the importance of directory structures and correct pathing.

That image path above indicates that you published without saving (which would have resolved that absolute path to a document-relative path). It is uncertain why your CSS path is broken, but most likely it is because you simply did not publish it. Check your paths, and open your remote site to check whether the CSS file actually was published. That's a start, then report back with any other problems you have found.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, August 18, 2014 7:24 PM