AxWindowsMediaPlayer from resources RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

How i can play a video or an MP3 in a AxWindowsmediaPlayer control from MY.Resources? in VISUAL BASIC 2012.

Please i really need help.

Thanx!

Friday, August 16, 2013 12:27 AM

Answers

• Hi Paul,

According to your description, I understood you want to play a video or an MP3 in an AxWindowsMediaPlayer control from My.Resources.

I created a sample to implement this function. The detailed steps below,

1. Project Properties -> Resources tab

When you add existing files, a Resources folder containing the added files will created under project directory. Thus, you can reference to your mp3 file using relative path instead of My.Resources.file

2. You can use Windows Media Player control to play mp3 files.

Right-click the Toolbox -> Choose item -> COM Components -> add “Windows Media Player” component (which references to C:\Windows\System32\wmp.dll)

Then you will see “Windows Media Player” control on Toolbox, drag & drop it to Form1, AxWindowsMediaPlayer1 object will be created.

Here is VB.NET code snippet below:

Public Class Form1

Dim ResourceFilePath As String

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

' Determine the Resource File Path

If System.Diagnostics.Debugger.IsAttached() Then

'Debugging mode

ResourceFilePath = System.IO.Path.GetFullPath(Application.StartupPath & "\..\..\resources\")

Else

'Published mode

ResourceFilePath = Application.StartupPath & "\resources\"

End If

' Specify the mp3 file

AxWindowsMediaPlayer1.URL = ResourceFilePath & "\Today.mp3"

' Media Player automatically plays file by default

End Sub

End Class

Here are some useful references maybe help you to understand this issue.

#How to: Retrieve Audio Resources in Visual Basic

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/3e54ke41(v=vs.100).aspx

#How to add or remove references

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/3bka19x4(v=vs.100).aspx

If you need future assistance, please do not hesitate to tell me.

Regards,

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, August 19, 2013 2:18 AM
  • Imports WMPLib ' Add reference in Project tab, Add reference, Com, Windows Media Player

Public Class Form1

Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
            Me.CenterToScreen()
        End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            Dim appPath As String = Application.StartupPath & "\Pegasus.wmv"
            My.Computer.FileSystem.WriteAllBytes(appPath, My.Resources.Pegasus, False)
            Dim wmp As New WindowsMediaPlayer()
            wmp.openPlayer(Application.StartupPath & "\Pegasus.wmv")
        End Sub

Private Sub Form1_FormClosing(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Me.FormClosing
            Try
                My.Computer.FileSystem.DeleteFile(Application.StartupPath & "\Pegasus.wmv")
            Catch ex As Exception
            End Try
        End Sub

End Class

Please BEWARE that I have NO EXPERIENCE and NO EXPERTISE and probably onset of DEMENTIA which may affect my answers! Also, I've been told by an expert, that when you post an image it clutters up the thread and mysteriously, over time, the link to the image will somehow become "unstable" or something to that effect. :) I can only surmise that is due to Global Warming of the threads.

Monday, August 19, 2013 6:49 AM

All replies

• Hi Paul,

According to your description, I understood you want to play a video or an MP3 in an AxWindowsMediaPlayer control from My.Resources.

I created a sample to implement this function. The detailed steps below,

1. Project Properties -> Resources tab

When you add existing files, a Resources folder containing the added files will created under project directory. Thus, you can reference to your mp3 file using relative path instead of My.Resources.file

2. You can use Windows Media Player control to play mp3 files.

Right-click the Toolbox -> Choose item -> COM Components -> add “Windows Media Player” component (which references to C:\Windows\System32\wmp.dll)

Then you will see “Windows Media Player” control on Toolbox, drag & drop it to Form1, AxWindowsMediaPlayer1 object will be created.

Here is VB.NET code snippet below:

Public Class Form1

Dim ResourceFilePath As String

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

' Determine the Resource File Path

If System.Diagnostics.Debugger.IsAttached() Then

'Debugging mode

ResourceFilePath = System.IO.Path.GetFullPath(Application.StartupPath & "\..\..\resources\")

Else

'Published mode

ResourceFilePath = Application.StartupPath & "\resources\"

End If

' Specify the mp3 file

AxWindowsMediaPlayer1.URL = ResourceFilePath & "\Today.mp3"

' Media Player automatically plays file by default

End Sub

End Class

Here are some useful references maybe help you to understand this issue.

#How to: Retrieve Audio Resources in Visual Basic

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/3e54ke41(v=vs.100).aspx

#How to add or remove references

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/3bka19x4(v=vs.100).aspx

If you need future assistance, please do not hesitate to tell me.

Regards,

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, August 19, 2013 2:18 AM
  • Hi.

How i can play a video or an MP3 in a AxWindowsmediaPlayer control from MY.Resources? in VISUAL BASIC 2012.

Please i really need help.

Thanx!

Write it to a file first then play it from there. Then on Form Closing delete the file. Also I always use a try catch in the FormClosing event in case it errors so the Form will still close.

Imports WMPLib ' Add reference in Project tab, Add reference, Com, Windows Media Player

Public Class Form1

Me.CenterToScreen()
        End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            Dim appPath As String = Application.StartupPath & "\MiamiVice.mp3"
            'save the embedded app binary to the file path
            My.Computer.FileSystem.WriteAllBytes(appPath, My.Resources.MiamiVice, False)
            wmp.URL = Application.StartupPath & "\MiamiVice.mp3"
        End Sub

Private Sub Form1_FormClosing(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Me.FormClosing
            Try
                My.Computer.FileSystem.DeleteFile(Application.StartupPath & "\MiamiVice.mp3")
            Catch ex As Exception
            End Try
        End Sub

End Class

Please BEWARE that I have NO EXPERIENCE and NO EXPERTISE and probably onset of DEMENTIA which may affect my answers! Also, I've been told by an expert, that when you post an image it clutters up the thread and mysteriously, over time, the link to the image will somehow become "unstable" or something to that effect. :) I can only surmise that is due to Global Warming of the threads.

Monday, August 19, 2013 6:38 AM
  • Imports WMPLib ' Add reference in Project tab, Add reference, Com, Windows Media Player

Public Class Form1

Me.CenterToScreen()
        End Sub

Dim appPath As String = Application.StartupPath & "\Pegasus.wmv"
            My.Computer.FileSystem.WriteAllBytes(appPath, My.Resources.Pegasus, False)
            wmp.openPlayer(Application.StartupPath & "\Pegasus.wmv")
        End Sub

Try
                My.Computer.FileSystem.DeleteFile(Application.StartupPath & "\Pegasus.wmv")
            Catch ex As Exception
            End Try
        End Sub

End Class

Monday, August 19, 2013 6:49 AM