none
Azure data retention

Question

• Hello,

My company is looking at investing in MS Azure storage services. 

My question is as follows: How long of a retention policy is on the data that gets backed up to the MS servers? Would we only be able to get data back from a previous day, or is there a longer retention time such as a week or a month?

Thanks for your help.

Monday, January 25, 2016 6:48 PM

Answers

• Azure storage does not back up data, it uses a much more efficient replication model. There are several to choose from LRS ZRS GRS and RA-GRS. By default it set to GRS which means there are 3 copies of your data in a local data center and 3 copies of your data in a remote region(s) in case of disaster available for download (6 copies of your data!).

Here is a link to understand the model: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/storage/

Monday, January 25, 2016 9:19 PM

All replies

• Your data will be stored in Blob Storage as long as Your subscription will be active. If You are asking about retention with gurantee (like 99 years in Azure Backup if I remember correctly) - as I know there is no SLA like this for storage right now. But maybe someone from MS will tell more. I will also ask someone about that.
    Monday, January 25, 2016 7:08 PM
  • I guess the biggest question was with regards to how long the data would be stored. In regards of how the Azure storage works, would it take a full backup nightly, or would it simply be an incremental backup day by day and simply retain the previous versions of the file/folder for the life of our subscription? Currently we are using HP LTO Tapes nightly and have a setup where we have a separate tape for each Monday of the month and a single tape for the remainder of the work week. I believe we would want a set up much like this one where it is a full backup each night if possible.
    Monday, January 25, 2016 8:18 PM
  • It depends on how You will configure Your backups. Azure Storage is just a container for Your own data. If You run full backup every monday and then incremental backup during the week it will works like You want to. If You will not purge azure storage account it will be stored until reaching account's limits.
  • Azure storage does not back up data, it uses a much more efficient replication model. There are several to choose from LRS ZRS GRS and RA-GRS. By default it set to GRS which means there are 3 copies of your data in a local data center and 3 copies of your data in a remote region(s) in case of disaster available for download (6 copies of your data!).

Here is a link to understand the model: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/storage/