"Unspecified error" when trying to read data from SQL 2008 Express over remote connection RRS feed

• Question

• I can connect to SQL Express remotely via Management Studio (2005).  I can see all the tables, views, etc... but when I try to read data I get an "unspecified error". 

Thursday, October 15, 2009 4:45 PM

Answers

• Run Sp_errorlog in your new query window.
    Thanks, Leks

Ok, it turns out that I actually CAN read data.  If I pull up a query window and write a simple Select * from TableName, it works fine.  The thing that doesn't work is when I right click on a table and say "open table".  That's where I'm getting the error.  No big deal though, as long as I can read the data I'm happy!
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 11:41 PM

All replies

• Read the error log and look out for more specific error message if there is any.
    Thanks, Leks
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 8:24 PM
    Answerer
  • Read the error log and look out for more specific error message if there is any.
    Thanks, Leks

Where is the error log?
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 10:57 PM
    Thanks, Leks
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 11:03 PM
    Answerer
    Thanks, Leks

Ok, it turns out that I actually CAN read data.  If I pull up a query window and write a simple Select * from TableName, it works fine.  The thing that doesn't work is when I right click on a table and say "open table".  That's where I'm getting the error.  No big deal though, as long as I can read the data I'm happy!
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 11:41 PM