POS for .NET for metro style apps RRS feed

• Question

• As per my research,

POS for .NET  works primarily with COM objects and in Windows 8 , they have replaced that with Windows RT which is the API layer available to Metro Style Applications.

I could add Microsoft.POS dll file to a windows forms application or WCF service in win8 but not in Metro Style App.

The error being generated  when I try to build a metro app with Microsoft.PointOfService added as reference is

“Cannot find type System.Collections.ReadOnlyCollectionBase in module mscorlib.dll”

Pos for .Net I installed is : Microsoft POS for .NET 1.12

IDE: Visual Studio 2012 RP.

.Net Framework 4.5

Any help would be appreciated.

Monday, August 20, 2012 11:22 PM

Answers

• Metro Apps based on WinRT are sandboxed and cannot access services available within Win32 such as OPOS or POS for .NET.  In addition, today Metro Apps cannot access specialized peripherals such as a barcode scanner or magnetic stripe reader unless the driver for that specialized device identifies the Metro application as a privileged application.  There is a 1 to 1 relationship between the Metro device application and the specialized device.  You can however use either a barcode scanner or magnetic stripe reader in keyboard emulation mode within a Metro application, but will have to manage the input to ensure the content from such an event goes into the appropriate field in your application.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Friday, August 24, 2012 6:47 PM

All replies

• POS for .NET doesn't support Metro applications.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Monday, August 20, 2012 11:27 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the reply Sean.

Would there be any other way to interact with my OPOS device in my metro app ?

I'm trying to create a WCF service that could do the tasks what I want my POS device to do and then I would consume that service in my metro app.

Not sure it would work , but still giving it a try.

Monday, August 20, 2012 11:39 PM
  • You might want to ask MCS -http://monroecs.com/oposvendors.htm

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 1:02 AM
    Answerer
  • Metro Apps based on WinRT are sandboxed and cannot access services available within Win32 such as OPOS or POS for .NET.  In addition, today Metro Apps cannot access specialized peripherals such as a barcode scanner or magnetic stripe reader unless the driver for that specialized device identifies the Metro application as a privileged application.  There is a 1 to 1 relationship between the Metro device application and the specialized device.  You can however use either a barcode scanner or magnetic stripe reader in keyboard emulation mode within a Metro application, but will have to manage the input to ensure the content from such an event goes into the appropriate field in your application.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Friday, August 24, 2012 6:47 PM