SAN migration for SQL 2012 Guest VM Cluster RRS feed

• Question

• I have the following setup and want to perform a migration from one SAN to another.

Host

VM host: Host server x 3 running Windows 2012 DataCenter Edition

SAN connection: Fiber channel 

Guest VM

Guest VMs: Windows Server 2012 DataCenter + SQL server 2012 Enterprise running active/passive cluster with log shipping to DR site SQL VM

SAN connection: Virtual fiber channel (VFC)

Migration procedures

Preparation

1. Connect the hosts to the new SAN and setup MPIO. Make sure both new and old SANs are seen by the hosts.

2. Create a LUN in new SAN and present to the hosts. Configure the new LUN to be a CSV.

3. For each SQL guest VM, create an extra pair of VFC that points to the new SAN and configure properly.

4. For each VFC connected drive in the SQL guest VMs, create a corresponding set of LUNs in new SAN and present the new LUNs to the SQL guest VMs.

5. Stop log shipping.

Migrate system drives

1. For each SQL guest VM, use Live Storage Migration to migrate the system drives that are in VHDx format to the CSV attached to the new SAN.

Migrate data drives

1. Make sure all new drives are seen in the active SQL guest VM.

2. Add the new drives to the SQL cluster.

3. Change the quorum disk to one of the new drives.

4. At Failover Cluster Manager, take the "SQL Server (xxxxx)" and "SQL Server Agent (xxxxx)" resources offline.

5. For each old data drive, copy data to the corresponding new drive (use robocopy command).

6. Rename the old drives to some other drive letters.

7. Rename the new drives to the original drive letters.

8. At Failover Cluster Manager, bring the "SQL Server (xxxxx)" and "SQL Server Agent (xxxxx)" resources online.

9. Check SQL health.

10. For DTC disk, delete the original DTC role and recreate a new one.

11. Cleanup the old disks after new disks work properly.

I draft these procedures using the information from various forums but they are all talking about SQL 2008 but not 2012. Please help to advise if the above procedures work for SQL 2012.

Thanks and regards,

Joseph Liu

Joseph Liu

Monday, September 25, 2017 7:58 AM

All replies

• I tested it before, it can work on 2012. Steps for migrating did not change for SQL Server 2012 from 2008.
    Tuesday, September 26, 2017 7:38 AM
  • Is there any more feed in because I need to wrap up my plan very soon?

Thanks a lot.

Joseph Liu

Friday, October 6, 2017 8:55 AM