ASP.net sends back the whole page anyway RRS feed

• Question

• User-1568808330 posted

I teach ASP.net and worked several examples to illustrate ASP.net using the standard controls.

It emerged that although the behaviour was as intended, the Ajax callback was very slow; I investigated and found that ASP.net sends back the whole page anyway when interrogated with this Ajax approach.

Am  I missing something?

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 5:08 PM

All replies

• User-484054684 posted

As per my understanding, the "content or controls" which are sorrounded by "Update Panel" will only be sent to the server. However, on the server side, all the page life cycle events will be triggered.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 5:13 PM
  • User-933407369 posted

There is a bad design issue in the way UpdatePanels postback asynchronously select elements, making them very slow when the page contains large ListBox or other controls.

i would suggest you check out the link for details:

http://fastlistadapter.codeplex.com/

Hope it helps you.

Thursday, March 6, 2014 5:59 AM
  • User-1568808330 posted

Thanks Happy Chen.

Yes, it was when a gridview was present that I first noticed the issue.

As per Siva's post, I believe also that the whole page is also sent back - I did a test to prove it to my students!

I don't wish to burden students with additional downloads and adapters; it's a shame that the original design is not better.

Thursday, March 6, 2014 10:11 AM
  • User-1568808330 posted

Yes; this seems to defeat the idea of Ajax which was to only deal with the subset of a page!

Thursday, March 6, 2014 10:12 AM
  • User-933407369 posted

if possible, i think that you're able to use jquery ajax to call webmethod instead of triggering the server  control event.

Try starting the event is no longer on the server side, and postback the whole page to the server.

Could you provide any additional code or markup related to this issue? It may be a bit easier to resolve if it can be easily reproduced.

Thank you for your understanding.

Friday, March 7, 2014 1:26 AM
  • User-1568808330 posted

I was hoping that the Visual Studio / ASP.net tools would do what they say, without introducing further aspects for the students to assimilate.

I have been trying the jQuery approach, unfortunately have a problem with that too: see

postUndefined response to the basic Getting Started jQuery Ajax call

on jQuery pages!

Friday, March 7, 2014 4:36 AM
  • User-933407369 posted

You'd better provide a simple demo which can easily reproduce your problem.

Thank you for your understanding.

Sunday, March 9, 2014 9:30 PM