Windows store app - Tile Notification RRS feed

• Question

•  i am sending tile notifications from my cloud server to a computer. When i send the notifcation , i get a respond code of 200.

200 = Ok

But the tile doesn't update on the computer. I can update the tile locally but it doesn't update through push notifications.

Below is the body of the tile notification request, 

System.Text.StringBuilder strContent = new System.Text.StringBuilder();
                strContent.Append("<tile>");
                strContent.Append(" <visual> version=\"2\"");
                strContent.Append("    <binding template=\"TileSquare310x310ImageAndTextOverlay02\">");
                strContent.Append("      <image id=\"1\" src=\"" + picUrl + "\"  />");
                strContent.Append("      <text id=\"1\">New Message!</text>");
                strContent.Append("      <text id=\"2\">" + message + "</text>");
                strContent.Append("    </binding>");
                strContent.Append(" </visual>");
                strContent.Append("</tile>");
                return strContent;

Friday, November 1, 2013 4:55 AM

Answers

• Hi Kalel,

the body looks wrong on the following line:

The ">" is on the wrong position, should look like that:

strContent.Append(" <visual version=\"2\">");

Ok, if that doesn't solve it, what else:

1. Is your machine a Windows 8.1 machine? If not, specify the fallback-attribute on the Tile-Template (look here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh761491.aspx)
    2. Did you register correctly with the Windows Notification Service, and is your cloud server using the correct URI of the WNS? The client should request the URI and send it to your Cloud-server that then sends a push to that URI (pointing to WNS). WNS informs all clients about the update. Ensure that the URI is the current one received by the client.

Thomas Claudius Huber

"If you can´t make your app run faster, make it at least look & feel extremly fast"

twitter: @thomasclaudiush
    homepage: www.thomasclaudiushuber.com
    author of: ultimate Windows Store Apps handbook | ultimate WPF handbook | ultimate Silverlight handbook

• Marked as answer by kalel111 Saturday, November 2, 2013 12:59 AM
    Friday, November 1, 2013 7:40 AM

All replies

• Hi Kalel,

the body looks wrong on the following line:

The ">" is on the wrong position, should look like that:

strContent.Append(" <visual version=\"2\">");

Ok, if that doesn't solve it, what else:

1. Is your machine a Windows 8.1 machine? If not, specify the fallback-attribute on the Tile-Template (look here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh761491.aspx)
    2. Did you register correctly with the Windows Notification Service, and is your cloud server using the correct URI of the WNS? The client should request the URI and send it to your Cloud-server that then sends a push to that URI (pointing to WNS). WNS informs all clients about the update. Ensure that the URI is the current one received by the client.

Thomas Claudius Huber

"If you can´t make your app run faster, make it at least look & feel extremly fast"

twitter: @thomasclaudiush
    homepage: www.thomasclaudiushuber.com
    author of: ultimate Windows Store Apps handbook | ultimate WPF handbook | ultimate Silverlight handbook

• Marked as answer by kalel111 Saturday, November 2, 2013 12:59 AM
    Friday, November 1, 2013 7:40 AM
  • thnx. The first one fixed it.
    Saturday, November 2, 2013 12:58 AM