none
Kinect for Windows 2.0 malfunctioned RRS feed

• Question

• I just got my Kinect 2.0 for Windows sensor. I installed Windows 8.1 and Kinect SDK 2.0, everything went well.

But when I tried to connect my sensor to my computer, I got a "the last USB device malfunctioned" message, and I got constant beeping sound. I opened my Device Manager, and found out the device list being refreshed twice every second.

It seems that the connection was unstable, but I could not be sure.

What should I do? Thanks in advance!

edit 2:

In my Windows 8.1 t keeps showing "USB device not recognized".

When I switch back to my Windows 7 and plug Kinect in (I know kinect 2.0 does not support Windows 7, just experimenting...), I didn't got the constant non-stopping beeping, and I can see an Xbox device under my device manager.

edit 3:

Though the never ending connecting-disconnecting thing seems unusual, but I figured out a possible reason: I don't have USB 3.0! I'm using lenovo T420 and it has eSATA instead of USB 3.0.

So my new question is: can I still use kinect on my laptop if I get an expresscard? If so can someone give me a hint for choosing expresscards?

• Edited by HangChu Monday, July 21, 2014 7:08 AM
    Monday, July 21, 2014 3:42 AM

Answers

All replies

• This sounds like a Driver issue or supported USB3 version. What is the USB3 chipset version? Are there other device connected to the same Host Controller? Open Device Manager and select the "WDF KinectSensor" entry. Under the View menu, select  "Devices by Connection". What do you see under the "Host Controller" entry the sensor is attached to. Provide a screenshot if you can.

When using any type of expansion card, you will have to be careful of whether the device supports the bandwidth speeds of PCIx V2.0(5.0GB/s). Additionally, the ExpressCard might not use an Intel or Renesas chipset on the card so the driver/chipset may not be USB3 spec compliant.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/20dbadae-dcee-406a-b66f-a182d76cea3b/troubleshooting-and-common-issues-guide?forum=kinectv2sdk

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, July 21, 2014 6:44 PM
  • I encountered the same issue. I installed the SDK, reboot my machine and still it occurred. Then I moved to another USB 3.0 port and the device installed correctly.
    Tuesday, July 22, 2014 9:19 PM
  • Thanks for the information. I've ordered several USB3.0 Express Cards for laptops, hope one of them would work.
    Wednesday, July 23, 2014 10:43 PM
  • Hi there!

Could you post some update on that? Did you have any luck in getting the sensor to work with these Express cards? I also have a laptop (which even has Intel USB 3.0 chipset!) but it does that same plugged in - plugged out behavior when I plug it in.

Thanks a lot!

Monday, January 12, 2015 12:21 PM