Brightness adjustment on windows developer preview

Question

• How to adjust laptop brightness in windows developer preview.?
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:08 AM

Answers

• There are also brightness setting in individual power plans under Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options, but that requires the hardware to support the ACPI feature.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:27 PM
  • 1: go to the desktop

2: move the mouse over the Windows logo (left down corner)

3: go to settings

4: now you see on the right side a Settings dialog

5: choose here brightness for adjustment it

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:33 PM

All replies

• There is another thread where some people are reporting success with different Video Drivers here. I have also read reports from individuals who saw success by disabling and re-enabling the Display Adapter.

If your laptop keyboard has Keys that serve to adjust the screen brightness you might attempt using those.

The last suggestion I have is to make the brightness slider adjustment and then allow the laptop to sleep. Someone else reported that once the machine woke up the previously applied brightness settings were applied.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:52 PM
    Answerer
  • There are also brightness setting in individual power plans under Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options, but that requires the hardware to support the ACPI feature.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:27 PM
  • 1: go to the desktop

2: move the mouse over the Windows logo (left down corner)

3: go to settings

4: now you see on the right side a Settings dialog

5: choose here brightness for adjustment it

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:33 PM
  • Ya i could see the icon but it was in disabled state. :( wat to do?
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:59 PM
  • Then I think the preview Version not detects your system properly as a laptop. Driver probleme or missing driver? What says the device manager?

Best regards
    brima

Friday, September 23, 2011 6:43 PM
  • The Ambient Light Sensor is disabled by default in the //BUILD Developer Preview system image. To enable it go to power settings and change the "Adaptive Brightness" setting.

Marilyn
    Wednesday, November 02, 2011 2:29 AM
  • And now how to reset back the brightness.. my friend put a prank on me and the brightness was set to zero.. thus.. i can't see a damn thing on my screen.. even when i restart the pc. T_T
    Sunday, November 06, 2011 7:21 PM
  • Hey Tsany Qudsi,

If you have the ability to use an external monitor with your computer, try connecting the external monitor and using it to change the brightness of the screen through the Control Panel. If you connect the external monitor and you don't see any display (or a display that allows you to enter the Start menu) try holding down the Windows key and pressing the P key on your keyboard. Each time you press the P key you will cycle through the available options of Computer only, Duplicate, Extend, and Display only.

If you can't see anything on the screen and you don't have the availability of an external monitor, you can try using these steps that only utilize the keyboard, but if you mistype or press the wrong key you'll need to start again from the top of the steps:

• Press the Windows key + W on your keyboard (this will open a Setting search)
    • Type: adjust screen brightness
    • Press Enter on your keyboard
    • Hold down one of the Shift keys on your keyboard and press Tab 3 times
    • Release the Shift key
    • Tap the right arrow key on your keyboard multiple times to move the Screen Brightness slider to the right

Note: You could potentially make unwanted changes to your system if you accidentally hit the wrong key, since you won't be able to see what is occurring on the machine.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Monday, November 21, 2011 10:31 PM