User cannot see databases unless I give login dbcreator RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having an issue with a login. This login has several databases mapped to it, but the login cannot see any of the databases unless I give it the dbcreator server role. I know they should be able to see the databases without having that particular server role. The login is enable and it has grant permission. I've already deleted it and re-created, still the same issue.
    Life is what you make it, so code properly!
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 4:18 PM

Answers

• You should give "View Any Database" permission for server.

FYI - This will show all databases to the user, however he cannot access unless he has access to the database.

Venugopal Saride MCITP - SQL Server 2008 Please click "Mark as Answer" if the post solves your problem - Thanks
    • Marked as answer by Diango Tuesday, December 6, 2011 4:46 PM
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 4:30 PM

All replies

• You should give "View Any Database" permission for server.

FYI - This will show all databases to the user, however he cannot access unless he has access to the database.

Venugopal Saride MCITP - SQL Server 2008 Please click "Mark as Answer" if the post solves your problem - Thanks
    • Marked as answer by Diango Tuesday, December 6, 2011 4:46 PM
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 4:30 PM
  • As Venugopal says, the user needs the permission VIEW ANY DATABASE. But then he will see all databases. Without that permission, he only see the system databases and databases he owns.

All users have VIEW ANY DATABASE by default, but apparently someone has actively revoked it. What is a pity is that you cannot assign VIEW DATABASE permission per database.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 11:12 PM