none
Out of Stock in USA, UK and Ireland RRS feed

• General discussion

• Our customers are not able to buy Kinect 2 Sensors as they are out of Stock.  They have been out of stock in UK and Ireland for over a month now.  Is there a problem keeping these in stock.  We are concerned about this.  Can you please provide some feedback on availability.  David
    Tuesday, February 3, 2015 5:55 AM

All replies

• Hi

Are you checking for "Kinect for Windows v2" specifically? I think it is out of stock in many countries but you could also buy "Kinect for XBox One" and a "Kinect adaptor" which, afaik, is technically the same.

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 8:29 AM
  • In the USA there are no XBOX one either.  It is disappointing that when you have customer for your software the key piece of hardware is not available.  The Microsoft store could not give me a time when they would be available.  I see this as a huge risk for software developers using Kinect.
    Tuesday, February 3, 2015 1:47 PM
  • This has been reported to the team, but there is no announcements to be made here. You will want to reach out to the team via the main website or through the various retail vendors/stores.

http://www.kinectforwindows.com

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/kinectforwindows/

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 6:22 PM
  • Thanks for getting back to me.  The USA Microsoft store could not tell if and when they would be receiving Sensors.  I am not sure how to reach out to team members at the blog or website.  I am not sure what to tell my customers.  It is too bad.  David
    Tuesday, February 3, 2015 8:48 PM
  • Hi Carmine,

It seems like something big is happening. I understand if you can't comment, so I won't ask any specifics.

But would it be possible to confirm that the Kinect program will be continuing for the foreseeable future, and that not too long from now Kinects will be available again for purchase?

Thank you again for everything.

• Edited by sam598 Wednesday, February 4, 2015 12:54 AM clarity
    Wednesday, February 4, 2015 12:46 AM
  • Carmine already answered the second part of your question, sam598: problem reported and no announcements. Strange thing, I understand Kinetisense frustration.

It is also strange that something big is happening. MS changed a lot of things with Kinect v2 only a few months ago. It is true that v2 is far better than v1 and new features could be exciting, but industry needs some stability for technologies to penetrate market.

Why do you think they are not distributing any more sensors? A(nother) hardware change? Do you really think MS could be planning to drop the program?

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 11:48 AM
  • I don't have specifics of the situation as this is a developer/technical forum for the SDK. I have passed on the feedback here to the team that handles hardware.

If you can't find the Kinect for Windows v2 hardware, then get the adaptor and the Xbox One sensor. I know there are reports of those sold out too, but that could have been because of the success of Xbox One sales over the holidays. The Xbox One sensor is fully commercially supported to work with the Kinect for Windows v2 SDK.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 2:45 PM
  • Thanks Carmine!

jmmroldan: I highly doubt Microsoft is planning to drop the program. The way Carmine's comment was worded had me worried for a moment, so that's why I asked for clarification regarding it's future.

However there are many Kinect events scheduled for the coming months, and most importantly it makes no sense for them to stop developing depth camera technology when the entire tech industry is headed in that direction.

As Carmine said this is not hardware forum so I don't want to ask any specifics. But looking at the life cycle of the Xbox 360 might explain a hardware update in the near-ish future.

It could very well be the holidays too.

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 6:02 PM
  • Thanks all of you for your input.  It is hard to sell the software you develop when you can not get the key piece of the product.  The thing that is frustrating is the fact is the Microsoft sales desk has not idea of when or how many they will be getting.  It is the uncertainty that is the problem.  I understand this is the SDK forum but I am not sure who else I can talk to to find out information.  Uncertainty is not good for business and adoption.  We have a product that people want to buy which was the whole point of the early adopters program which many of us participated in.  Hackathons are all well and good, but the idea of our business is too sell Microsoft Kinect 2, Microsoft Windows 8.1/10 and Kinetisense licenses  We need all three to succeed.  Thanks for your time.  David
    Wednesday, February 4, 2015 6:44 PM
  • Email k4w at Microsoft dot com with a summary of your deliverables and what your timeline is. They will be able to keep you up to date when there is more information to share.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 11:36 PM
  • Carmine, nothing has changed on this front in the past 30 days.  No one from Kinect 4 Windows responds to my emails.  When a company puts 10,000 of dollars into a platform that they can not sell because there is the major component of the product not available it is more then disappointing.  What is going on?  No information is killing us.  I do not know what to say to my potential customers.  Regards, David
    Tuesday, March 3, 2015 4:14 PM