none
Net Framework 4 blocking issue RRS feed

• Question

• Problem: cannot install .net 4 full installer (from the MS download site)

Current net installs: 1.0,1.1 sp1,2.0 sp1,3.0 sp1 and 3.5 sp1

>net 4 previously installed? NO

error: Setup cannot continue because a previous installation requires your computer to be restarted. Please restart your computer and rerun Setup.

Tried:

the .net cleanup utility, ms office cleanup utility, ccleaner

removed all the exisiting net installs and ran the above tools again

FYI:

Visual Studio is NOT installed.

I am admin on the PC, though I am connected thru remote desktop when doing the install

at a lost on what to do  next

thank you!

Friday, October 15, 2010 6:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi jlcjlee2,

Thank you for your post.

At first, I would recommend that you might try to uninstall all versions of .NET Framework first via Add/Remove Program.

Then, please check the following suggestions.

-          Download and install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 on XP SP3.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=d0e5dea7-ac26-4ad7-b68c-fe5076bba986

-          Download .NET Framework Verification Tool to verify whether .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 are installed correctly on your machine or not.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx

-          If it succeed, please download and install .NET Framework 4 on XP SP3.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=0a391abd-25c1-4fc0-919f-b21f31ab88b7

-          Please verify .NET Framework 4 is installed correctly on your machine.

If you have any issues during installation, please feel free to provide more detail information with me.

CHEERS,

Larcolais

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, October 18, 2010 7:10 AM
  • thank you for responding:

1) I uninstalled all the framework with the cleanup tool and vierifed it with the verifier tool - good

2) downloaded the full 3.5 sp1 framework and installed it - good

3)  Ran the verifier tool again the make sure the the net frameworks were all present again - good

4) but when I tried running the .net 4 the same error occurred as before

what's the next step?

Thank you

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 9:38 PM
  • Hi jlcjlee2,

Thank you for your feedback.

Based on your description, I would recommend that you might collect installation information. Please check the following step.

The steps to collect the log:
    - Try to clean your "%temp%" folder (Start Menu >> Run >> Type "%temp%")
    - Install .NET Framework 4.0 Standalone installer
    - Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder
       Collect tool:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0da314f-6216-4a18-bc6b-7d29cf83af20&displaylang=en

- Send vslogs.cab file to me (v-xugong@microsoft.com)
      Note: Please attach the link of this post in the mail.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Larcolais

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 2:26 AM
  • done! Thank you
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 9:30 PM
  • I encountered the same issue (like jlcjlee2), trying all possibilities/ways to install dotnet 4.0 but still failed to do it and message obtained is listed hereafter. For more information, please refer to log file (extracted from collect tool) i had sent it to you from my email account (esdon.tan@bbva.com.hk).   

error: Setup cannot continue because a previous installation requires your computer to be restarted. Please restart your computer and rerun Setup.

Monday, January 23, 2012 3:17 AM