none
LINQ to Entities does not recognize the method RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I try to do comparaison with RegionID/CategorieID integer in the database and String value RegionID/CategorieID passed by parameter in the method index from the controller.

The first time without comparison, I obtain the error  DbComparisonExpression requires arguments with comparable types.

After a quick search I find I need to use the same kind of type. 

I try to cast inside the query and I obtains the error 

"LINQ to Entities does not recognize the method 'Int32 Parse(System.String)' method, and this method cannot be translated into a store expression."

announcements = announcements.Where(
       s => s.Title.Contains(searchString)
       || s.Description.Contains(searchString)
       && (s.RegionID.Equals(int.Parse(RegionID))
       && s.CategorieID.Equals(int.Parse(CategorieID)));

Finally I did this code by init before the query

the error is not as before.

int regionId = int.Parse(RegionID);
       int categorieID = int.Parse(CategorieID);
       announcements = announcements.Where(
       s => s.Title.Contains(searchString)
       || s.Description.Contains(searchString)
       && (s.RegionID.Equals(RegionID)
       && s.CategorieID.Equals(CategorieID))); 

Best regards,

Alexandre

Sunday, June 12, 2011 8:27 PM

Answers

• Hi Alexandre;

It's a good question and the answer is that the Entity Framework will convert your Linq query to a T-SQL command. The SQL server has no idea about a function called int.Parse( ... ) it only knows SQL statements. Therefore the The Linq procedure that converts from Linq to SQL fails to find this function and throws an exception.

Fernando

Fernando

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".
    Sunday, June 12, 2011 8:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Maybe I wasn't clear.

The code works except I would like to understand what is the reason to initiate at first before to use in linq query.

Best regards, Alexandre http://alexandrebarault.wordpress.com
    Sunday, June 12, 2011 8:35 PM
  • Hi Alexandre;

It's a good question and the answer is that the Entity Framework will convert your Linq query to a T-SQL command. The SQL server has no idea about a function called int.Parse( ... ) it only knows SQL statements. Therefore the The Linq procedure that converts from Linq to SQL fails to find this function and throws an exception.

Fernando

Fernando

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".
    Sunday, June 12, 2011 8:57 PM