Is there an automated way of doing integration testing? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using unit testing for about 2 years. Most heavily this last year. I try to do unit testing with the idea of just testing the code I've written, not other things the code may depend upon, such as database tables, web services, etc. Others don't want to do that, they want to use MS Test to do what I understand integration testing to be. For example, their unit tests open database tables, perform actions within those tables, etc. That, as I understand it, is what is called integration testing. I believe they use MS Test because it is automated.

Assuming that my understanding of what constitutes unit testing vs. integration testing is correct, is there a different way of doing integration testing as I understand it to be, so that its automated? Or is the only way to use MS Test for both unit testing and integration testing (as I understand those terms)?

Rod

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 7:58 PM

Answers

• Hi Rod,

As far as I know, Integration Testing is similar with Unit Test which also uses unit testing framework. The different between Unit Test and Integration Testing is that, Unit Test testing a single method with mock objects but Integration Testing test one or more software methods or features and test if they act as expected.

Following thread introduce the detailed information about the difference between Unit Test and Integration Test with graphic, which is good for us understanding Unit Test and Integration Test.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10752/what-is-the-difference-between-integration-and-unit-tests

And in my opinion, we often use MS Test to implement automated Unit Test and Integration Test in Visual Studio. And you also can use TFS and its build agent to implement automated Unit Test and Integration Test. Detailed information about run test in TFS Build agent, please refer to:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/test/continuous-testing/test-build

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Rod at Work Thursday, September 8, 2016 2:14 PM
    Thursday, September 8, 2016 7:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Rod,

As far as I know, Integration Testing is similar with Unit Test which also uses unit testing framework. The different between Unit Test and Integration Testing is that, Unit Test testing a single method with mock objects but Integration Testing test one or more software methods or features and test if they act as expected.

Following thread introduce the detailed information about the difference between Unit Test and Integration Test with graphic, which is good for us understanding Unit Test and Integration Test.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10752/what-is-the-difference-between-integration-and-unit-tests

And in my opinion, we often use MS Test to implement automated Unit Test and Integration Test in Visual Studio. And you also can use TFS and its build agent to implement automated Unit Test and Integration Test. Detailed information about run test in TFS Build agent, please refer to:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/test/continuous-testing/test-build

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Rod at Work Thursday, September 8, 2016 2:14 PM
    Thursday, September 8, 2016 7:05 AM
  • Thank you, Weiwei. I'll take your word for it about the graphics. My employer blocks a great many things, including whatever graphics are being used in the post you referred to. Nevertheless, I get your meaning. So integration testing and unit testing, although different conceptually may be able to be tested in MS Test. I'll use the MS Test framework to do integration testing, but from this point forward whenever I have to write a test that uses external dependencies I will be sure to label it as an integration test.

Rod

Thursday, September 8, 2016 2:17 PM
  • I'm at home now and can see the graphics. Thanks again Weiwei, it makes more sense now!

Rod

Sunday, September 11, 2016 1:36 AM