Why are UK employers looking for C++ background? RRS feed

• Question

• User-1109299063 posted
    A general question about C++ and C++.net. UK employers seem to be asking for C++ background when advertising (through agencies and thru other channels) for programmers for C#.Net jobs. I'm considering learning C++.net just to put myself in the picture for these types of jobs. Is is worth it? Are there big technical advantages in moving to C++? Does a mastery of C++ prove you're a proper OO programmer? Constructive comments sought.. Cheers.
    Thursday, January 8, 2004 10:25 AM

All replies

• User1084091485 posted
    Although I personally like C#, I must say that nothing can compare to unmanaged c++. When you know how to program in unmanaged c++ you can pretty much program in any language in any environment. Is it worth it? -- It depends do you like to improve your own skills? Do you like to learn? Are there big technical advantages...? -- For unmanaged c++...yes, for managed c++ not really unless you have a program unmanaged c++ program that is being migrated to managed code. ...C++ prove you're a proper OO programmer? -- C++ makes you are real programmer....just kidding, I can't see a reason why it wouldn't help. Best of Luck.
    Thursday, January 8, 2004 2:45 PM
  • User-967169866 posted
    CraziJ.. are you saying that vb won't be the next compiler language? :)
    Thursday, January 8, 2004 5:12 PM
  • User-1109299063 posted
    Thanks for the reply. Yes I do like to learn but I'm keen to climb the jobs ladder too so I need a 'worthwhile' plan. I have a few more questions if you have the time. 1. Can you briefly explain the differences between Managed / unmanaged code? (My background is ASP (and some basic java) before moving to ASP.NET so I haven't come across it for myself.) I have a feeling it's to do with memory management but I'm not totally sure. 2. If I take a course in c++ (not c++.net) will that necessarily be programming using unmanaged code? 3. What kind of (unmanaged) c++ projects could I undertake but keep focussed on web applications? 4. Can you build (unmanaged) c++ programs and integrate with asp.net applications for specific advantages? Cheers.
    Friday, January 9, 2004 4:15 AM
  • User-1087604911 posted
    Calcium, Check out my O'Reilly articles for the differences between MC++/unmanaged C++. For the answer to the rest of the question, see the topic just two away from this one http://asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=424898 Not very much at all. I tried making a career of it the last three years: wrote a book, wrote articles and taught people to very little interest. Most people have given up on the complexities of the language and the language itself for good in favor of C#. I did use it in a number of jobs for Interop through IJW but that's about it. Thats still its sweet spot but I'm afraid that its just not worth the effort overall when I (and most everyoen) can do things in C# in 1/10 the time. After 15 years as a C++ programmer, I have moved on too.
    Saturday, January 10, 2004 3:47 PM
  • User-1409020862 posted
    I think the next version of Windows, Longhorn, will be completely .NET. Even the file system will change and everything should be managed code by then. With mono on the horizon, it seems even C++ on unix may be a thing of the past.
    Friday, January 30, 2004 8:37 PM
  • User743145481 posted
    I think you're jumping the gun saying C++ is going away. I don't even think they have made the managed C++ compiler yet for mono. By forcing everything to managed code, then they are removing all backwards compatibility, so I do not think that will happen. Managed code will probably be more of the "thing to do" on Windows, but there is no way that they can limit programs to that paradigm. Knowing C++ does not make you a master in OOP. You are not forced to use objects in C++ as you are in C# or Java.
    Friday, February 6, 2004 12:06 PM