The following forum(s) are migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Azure Active Directory!

Ask new questions on Microsoft Q&A (Preview).
Interact with existing posts until December 13, 2019, after which content will be closed to all new and existing posts.

Learn More

none
Associate Office 365 Active Directory on Azure trial instance RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Team

Problem

I have a Dynamics 365 setup with Office 365 subscription (trial) on abc@mytrialinstance.onmicrosoft.com 

I also have got a Azure trial setup on arafat@myotherdomain.com 

In order to utilize the Data Export Service (which brings data to the Azure SQL Database), I need to establish a trust / association between Office 365 Active Directory and Azure Active Directory (in short, I should use Active Directory of Office 365 as per the official docs) 

Issue

I am not able to find out any way to associate my Office 365 Active Directory in Azure because there's already one Active Directory available. If I click on Switch or Change, it just gives me a message that you don't have any other active directory available. 

Please note that I also tried to add my abc@mytrialinstance.onmicrosoft.com account to my Azure subscription as Co-Administrator but it doesn't do any good (like it does not show anything even if I switch directory from my office 365 account). 

Question

Can I achieve what I am trying to do with the current setup? Am I doing something wrong or am I missing something? Please enlighten me with your expert opinion.

Thanks!

Friday, September 6, 2019 6:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Arafat, 

You need an account in arafat@myotherdomain.com which is added as a Global administrator in mytrialinstance.onmicrosoft.com tenant. If this account has the owner permissions on the subscription, then you can switch the directory it is associate within Azure. 

Ref: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/fundamentals/active-directory-how-subscriptions-associated-directory

Once you have linked your subscription with the correct directory, you will be able to use it as needed.

Hope this helps.

Please take a moment to "Mark as Answer" and/or "Vote as Helpful" wherever applicable. Thanks!

Friday, September 6, 2019 6:48 AM
  • Hi Manoj

Thank you for the quick response.

My Office 365 account (@mytrialinstance.onmicrosoft.com) has co-administrator role in my Azure subscription (arafat@myotherdomain.com). Still, it does not show any option of switching to me. 

Or do you mean otherwise? Adding an Azure subscription account (arafat@myotherdomain.com) to my Office 365 (mytrialinstance.onmicrosoft.com)? I am not sure if I can add but please confirm my understanding and I will look into it. 

Looking forward to your response. 

Friday, September 6, 2019 8:43 AM
  • Hi Arafat, 

You need an account which has Global Administrator privileges in both the tenants. I am assuming  arafat@myotherdomain.com has owner permissions on the Azure subscription. So please follow the below steps

1) Add arafat@myotherdomain.com as a guest user in mytrialinstance.onmicrosoft.com 

2) Make this account a Global Administrator in mytrialinstnace.onmicrosoft.com 

3) Accept the invite that you receive in your mailbox and then you will be able to see both the tenants.

4) You will then be able to switch the tenants. 

5) After switching the tenants, you can add people from mytrialinstance.onmicrosoft.com as the owner's of the subscription and remove other accounts. 

Please take a moment to "Mark as Answer" and/or "Vote as Helpful" wherever applicable. Thanks!

Friday, September 6, 2019 9:17 AM
  • Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.
    Thursday, September 19, 2019 9:03 AM