Is it possible to get Windows 8 hardware to test Metro applications on?

Question

• I was not able to make it to //build and so while I can write Windows 8 Metro apps, I don't have a way to test them on realistic hardware. Is it possible to buy a Windows 8 notebook/tablet to test on? I am aware that every hardware part might not be supported by the RTM build (but hopefully would be). There is nothing like testing on the real deal to iron out kinks.

Thanks,
    Erick

Sunday, January 29, 2012 10:11 PM

Answers

• Hi Erick - it is not possible to purchase a //build machine.  However, Samsung makes a very similar tablet at this time (Samsaung Series 7 Slate) that you can purchase.  You can also run it on any tablet that will take a Windows installation - I have put it on my Acer W500 tablet with amazing results.  Also, Visual Studio 2011's emulator has a touch-screen mode if you need that. 
    Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    Monday, January 30, 2012 4:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Erick - it is not possible to purchase a //build machine.  However, Samsung makes a very similar tablet at this time (Samsaung Series 7 Slate) that you can purchase.  You can also run it on any tablet that will take a Windows installation - I have put it on my Acer W500 tablet with amazing results.  Also, Visual Studio 2011's emulator has a touch-screen mode if you need that. 
    Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    Monday, January 30, 2012 4:49 PM
  • Thanks Matt. I don't suppose you know if the Samsung has all the acceleration/position/gps sensors? 

Thanks,
    Erick 

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 4:45 PM