System.Data.OracleClient.OracleException: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified RRS feed

• Question

• User2052678740 posted

This is a strange error I am encountering as my application used to run smoothly before today. I have the tnsnames.ora file with all the required entries and which used to run successfully without any issue. Now I am contantly getting this error and when I try tnsping, I get the error messege

"

Used parameter files:

TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name
    "

I have also tried replacing the sqlnet.ora and tnsname.ora files from a workstation which is able to run the applications without any issue but 
    still I am encountering the same issue.

I have tried the below options without any success
    • Rebooting the workstation
    • restarting the IIS
    • changing the tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora file which resides in c:\oraclient92\network\ADMIN folder
    • I have tried setting the TNS_ADMIN environment variables.
    Please Help!!!!
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:26 PM

Answers

• User269602965 posted

Then you must suspect the BROWSER settings,

like accidental blocks put into the browser like popup blocker, ad blocker, excluded URLs and IP addresses, etc.

or

software firewall settings on the workstation (windows firewall, Norton/McAfee, etc.)

and in office enviironments,

other get in the way products like WEBSENSE, etc.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 7:36 PM

All replies

• User269602965 posted

Unfoirtunately

this is a generic error with a lengthy list of many causes.

loss of network connectivity (logical or physical), firewall issues, routing issues, database down, Oracle database Listener down, are most common reasons.

what is your set up?

Operating system

location IIS server and IIS version

location database server

ASP.NET version of the application,

If you put the IIS and database on the same server or workstation,

did you follow best practices for Oracle on Windows guide

and put oracle on a static IP using Microsoft Loopback Adapter.

Oracle does not tolerate DCHP issued IPs and you will get this error.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 9:10 PM
  • User2052678740 posted

Hi Lannie,

Thanks for your resppnse.

I am just using local IIS for development purpose. Oracle is setup on a network. I never had this issue in the same work station untill yesterday and wondering what might have caused the issue. Network is working, IIS is working, TNSNAMES.ora file is a valid one. How to diagnose this issue.

Thank you,

Deb

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:38 AM
  • User2052678740 posted

what is your set up?

Operating system

location IIS server and IIS version

location database server

ASP.NET version of the application,

Windows XP Professional

Local IIS 6.0

Database is in network

ASP.net 1.1

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:50 AM
  • User269602965 posted

Situation is development workstation with IIS 60 and remote Oracle 9i database within the local area network suddently develops the dreaded ORA-12154 error (usually connection issues with ports, Oracle listener, firewalls, etc.)

I would check your oracle listener and make sure the port it is listening on (default is TCP Port 1521, but is configurable to other ports) is not blocked by LAN firewalls or database server software firewall. 

Check the tnslistener status at the oracle database server.  > LSNRCTL STATUS.

Oracle has many logs that can be checked.  Alert log, listener log, and the oracle net log.

Do you manage the database server and network, or do you have operations personnel who do this for you?  It is not uncommon for them to change and /or lock down systems and network equipment without the developer knowning what happened.

Are you able to open your workstation SQL client, log in as the application user, and run a test query used by your application??

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 7:34 PM
  • User2052678740 posted

Thanks Lannie...

Yes, I am able to run test queries from the workstation SQL client. 

I have raised a trouble ticket with the support group..I will update here if it is resolved. 

Also, I wont be able to run the LSNRCTL cmoonad as I do not have access to the database server.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 1:41 PM
  • User2052678740 posted

Also I should add one more point here. Some of the webpages in the application using the same server doesn't throw this exception. They run just fine. Only some pages has the issue. But form other workstations, with same application, all the webpages are working just fine. To add to the mystry, tnsping returns unresolved name.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 1:45 PM
  • User269602965 posted

Then you must suspect the BROWSER settings,

like accidental blocks put into the browser like popup blocker, ad blocker, excluded URLs and IP addresses, etc.

or

software firewall settings on the workstation (windows firewall, Norton/McAfee, etc.)

and in office enviironments,

other get in the way products like WEBSENSE, etc.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 7:36 PM