none
Mysterious storage account that refuses to be deleted

Question

• I have a storage account that is refusing to be deleted for some reason. Every time I try to do it, whether through the portal or Powershell, I get the following error:

"Error: The storage account cannot be deleted due to its artifacts being in use. "

I have followed all the steps mentioned in the linked Azure document around making sure there are no VMs with leases on blobs within the account to no luck. So far as I can see (again through both the portal and Powershell), the account is completely empty (it has one container in it, but the container itself is empty), so I'm not sure what would be preventing it from being deleted. I even tried emptying out the resource group and deleting the entire group, but it would not let me do that for the same reason.

If it helps anyone looking at this on the back end, here's the correlation ID: "clientNotification-f5e80f8b-25d0-4042-9481-6aae27950000;c98d15f0-9b5d-494f-a240-a53ff7a60850".

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Josh

Co-Founder - Do It Simply Software
    Senior DBA - Gateway Ticketing

Thursday, October 20, 2016 1:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Josh,

Thank you for posting here! We are happy to assist you.

Download Azure Storage Explorer and connect with storage, then browse its contents and delete all resources linked it.

A storage account can’t be deleted if it has VHDs that are attached as disk. These disks are created when creating Azure IaaS VM and you might have deleted the VMs but the disks are still around with a lease on the VHD located in this storage account.

Below steps which will help you delete all VHD blobs and storage containers for your account.

Please follow the below steps:

1. Delete the necessary VM which has a lease on this VHD (If not already deleted).

2. Delete the associated disks/images, while deleting these, please ensure to select” Delete the associated VHD “. You could also delete the VHDs manually.

3. Once the associated VHD’s are deleted, you will be able to delete the storage account. See "Deleting a Storage Account" for more details.

For more information on this issue; Click here

Regards,
    Sumanth BM

Thursday, October 20, 2016 7:19 PM
  • Hi Sumanth,

When I look at the account with Storage Explorer (or any other tool, such as Powershell or the Portal), I don't see any VHDs or other files present.

There is also nothing in File Shares, Queues, or Tables (except for something that looks like usage data). So as far as I can tell, the account is completely empty. Where else should I be looking?

Thanks,

Josh

Friday, October 21, 2016 1:37 PM
  • Hello,

We are checking on the query and would get back to you soon on this.

I apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your time and patience in this matter.

Regards,
    Sumanth BM

Sunday, October 23, 2016 12:17 PM
  • Hi John, please follow the steps in article Troubleshooting delete storage account issues to address this problem.
    Monday, October 24, 2016 5:54 PM
  • Sorry if I'm not being clear, but I already went through those steps and several other articles out there. There are no VMs that have disks in this storage account, nor any blobs or files of any kind (at least not that I can see through Powershell, Azure Portal, or Azure Storage Explorer). The account appears to be completely empty, and yet I can't delete it.

Monday, October 24, 2016 8:31 PM