Android Java debugging in VS2015 RRS feed

• Question

• Good day,

I have just installed and tried out the final version of VS2015 Professional. The cross platform development addition is awesome, thank you for that.I can develop, run and debug C++ apps on Android. However if I create a project from the "Basic Application (Android)" template, I can build and run it, but can't put active breakpoints into the java code.

The question is if debugging the java code is possible out of the box, can be enabled somewhere, or if not will be added this capability in the future for VS?

Thank you.

Thursday, July 23, 2015 8:05 AM

Answers

• Hi Laci,

I'm afraid that it is not supported to debug Java code in Android project in VS IDE.

Thanks.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 11:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Brumisoft,

Like this blog here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2014/11/12/debugging-c-code-on-android-with-visual-studio-2015.aspx

It seems that some functions are not supported in VS Debugging.

Not very sure that whether certain extension tool is helpful for you, but it seems that it has a limitation for the Java code debugging in default VS IDE.

A extension tool:

https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/bc561769-36ff-4a40-9504-e266e8706f93

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, July 24, 2015 10:20 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.

I have tried the java extension. It actually works with local Java applications, but not for Android Java applications.

I have also noticed that compiliation of the Java code is also not integrated into the IDE, it seems that the Android toolchanin compiles it but errors do not appear in the Error Window for example.

Laci

Sunday, July 26, 2015 9:31 AM
  • Hi Laci,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Best Regards,

Jack

Monday, July 27, 2015 2:44 AM
  • Hi Laci,

I'm afraid that it is not supported to debug Java code in Android project in VS IDE.

Thanks.

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 11:47 AM