none
Error: WDTF_TEST System has no device the driver package can be installed onto RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to test a very simple driver (Hello world ) using Visual Studio 2013 and a vm PC for debugging.

I am on a x64 bit win 7 sp1 and my vm machine is win7 x86 sp1 .

The provisiong is done and everything seems fine .

But in the very last stage i get the error i posted before e.i

WDTF_TEST                 : ERROR :  System has no device the driver package can  be installed onto.

I believe it is originated from the class field of inf file, i tried changing it to some other general purpose names but all of those which i chose ( SecurityEnhancer, AntiVirus) failed .

This is my inf file

;
    ; MyDriver2.inf
    ;

[Version]
    Signature="$WINDOWS NT$"
    Class= AntiVirus
    ClassGuid= {b1d1a169-c54f-4379-81db-bee7d88d7454}
    Provider=SeyyedHossein
    DriverVer=02/04/2014,21.29.45.299
    CatalogFile=test.cat

[DestinationDirs]
    DefaultDestDir = 12

[SourceDisksNames]
    1 = %DiskName%,,,""

[SourceDisksFiles]

[Manufacturer]
    %ManufacturerName%=Standard,NTx86

[Standard.NTx86]

[Strings]
    ManufacturerName="SeyyedHosseinHasanPour"
    ClassName="Anti Virus"
    DiskName="MyDriver2 Source Disk"

What am i doing wrong ?

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 7:51 PM

Answers

• For more info on INF files, I'd suggest starting here and here. It should give you an overall understanding of what each section does, allowing you to at least understand the basics. Each field is properly defined in the second hyperlink.

Why do you need to edit 3 INF files? If those three files are all the same, you can include the same INF file in multiple projects in VS, just like you can include a source code file in multiple projects. However, in most cases, 3 different drivers will have 3 different INF files, so I would not suggest it if you're not familiar with those files.

For you driver installation, if you are deploying and installing to your VM from Visual Studio, I usually use the "Install and Verify" option with "Default Driver Package Installation Task" as my install task for testing purposes. If I remember correctly, this option will create the virtual root enumerated device based on your driver package. It's worth a try if you haven't done so. See here for more details.

Max -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, February 7, 2014 5:15 PM

All replies