How to show win32 style window in metro, because I want to show an On-screen-keyboard in metro

Question

• How to show win32 style window in metro, because I want to show an On-screen-keyboard in metro, any idea is appreciated, thx!
    Tuesday, August 07, 2012 8:51 AM

Answers

• It is a desktop app.

Even as a desktop app there is no way for a general purpose app to run on top like that. Only accessibility apps can do so. If you are writing an accessibility app then you probably already know how to do this, but see the Accessibility documentation if you are just starting.

--Rob

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 4:37 AM
    Owner

All replies

• There is nothing that mimics the desktop window style (Win32 windows).  You would need to construct that style yourself but that would look out of place.  Why would you want to do that?  Simply create your UI using the tools at hand.

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 12:41 PM
  • There is a on-screen-keyboard named Keyman Desktop 8.0. It was originally designed for windows desktop, but now it also works fine in metro which seems to be able to show a win32 style keyboard window in metro, and what is important is it is top-most of all apps even native touch keyboard. I just wonder how does it get done?
    Wednesday, August 08, 2012 2:49 AM
  • It is a desktop app.

Even as a desktop app there is no way for a general purpose app to run on top like that. Only accessibility apps can do so. If you are writing an accessibility app then you probably already know how to do this, but see the Accessibility documentation if you are just starting.

--Rob

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 4:37 AM
    Owner
  • Thanks, I will take a look at the Accessibility documentation later.

And I also find a way to show win32 window in metro. I compile a metro-supported TSF(Text Service Framework) sample into a dll. As the inputmethod dll can be registered and run in metro, so I add code to create win32 window in the sample when the inputmethod is actived. It really shows!

Can U give me some ideas about alternative ways to implement it based on other forms instead of TSF?

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 8:37 AM