none
Limit on number of attachments in Linked SharePoint Item list? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an MS-Access desktop front end database with linked tables into SharePoint item lists under Office 365.

With MS-Access 2013 (32-bit click to run from Office 365 subscription), there appears to be a hard limit of 49 on the number of attachments allowed for a single record (list item). With 49 or less attachments, I can edit a record from MS-Access and move off of it to commit it. If I have 50 or more attachments, MS-Access hard faults and does a repair/compact if I edit the record and move off of it to commit it. (See event log entry below)

• MS-Access 2016 does not appear to have this issue.
    • Attachments can be added and the record edited within the browser interface of SharePoint.
    • These are not large attachments and again, this is a link to an item list in SharePoint online, so the mechanism for attachments is not the same as for a locally stored MS-Access backend database.

I am not seeing any documented limits for the NUMBER of attachments allowed, either for SharePoint online (Office 365), local MS-Access databases, or for MS-Access linked to a SharePoint item list. (There are size and record limits, which I am not hitting)

I can't get MS to verify whether this was a known bug in MS-Access 2013 that was resolved in 2016, or if there is an upper limit in 2016 that I will have to work around.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Event Log error:

Faulting application name: MSACCESS.EXE, version: 15.0.4893.1000, time stamp: 0x584f9597 Faulting module name: MSVCR100.dll, version: 10.0.40219.325, time stamp: 0x4df2be1e Exception code: 0xc0000005 Fault offset: 0x00001ed7 Faulting process id: 0x4e0c Faulting application start time: 0x01d2ad951f24a869 Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15\MSACCESS.EXE Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15\MSVCR100.dll

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 2:44 PM

All replies

• Are you referring to an Attachment field type? ...which is a type of field available in a table

You can attach a maximum of two gigabytes of data (the maximum size for an Access database). Individual files cannot exceed 256 megabytes in size.  Although this is the classic Access stand alone file and I don't know if a SharePoint list has the same features.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 8:36 PM
  • Hello,

I could reproduce your issue. Access 2013 would crash if there are 50 or more attachments when saving the linked table and the issue does not exist in Access 2016.

Due to the limitation of community support channel, I suggest you submit a feedback on Access User Voice site:https://access.uservoice.com/ Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 9:35 AM
  • To add: you probably should consider relying on a linked table for these attachments in the classic 1:Many type relationship and insert a sub form.....although I realize this doesn't work in a continuous form format as conveniently.

Also most developers advise caution on the Attachment field type as it does bloat the database.  Usually attachments are best kept in a separate folder outside of the database and just the path info is stored in the database - the hyperlink field type is good for this or use a custom method storing just a text string.  The existence of the Attachment field type tends to lure one into a less than optimal design in my opinion.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 12:06 PM