MSTest can't find tests in the VSMDI file RRS feed

• Question

• I have a solution with two assemblies and two separate (corresponding) test assemblies. At the root is the vsmdi file.

Whilst in the IDE I can click on the vsmdi file and see the available tests that can be run... And all works well

If I go to the command line and run (from the solution root)
    MsTest /testmetadata:My.tests.vsmdi I get a "No tests to execute" message?

I am actually looking at putting together an automated server build and test environment and want to call just one config to run all of my test assemblies

Thanks in advance and sorry for the cross post but this forum seems more active than the Team Developer one
    Monday, January 9, 2006 2:20 PM

Answers

• Hello,

The test manager in the IDE shows all the loaded tests currently in the solution. However, they are not really persisted in the vsmdi file until you create test lists that contain some of the tests. Therefore, using Test Manager, you should create new test list(s) that contain the tests that you want to execute (by dragging and dropping tests to your newly created test list(s)). Then, in the command line, you can specify those test list(s) to execute, as Dominic suggested.

Thanks.

Winnie

Monday, January 9, 2006 10:38 PM

All replies

• You need to specify a test list to execute. E.g.

mstest /testmetadata:blah.vsmdi /testlist:ListA\Child2 /testlist:ListB

Monday, January 9, 2006 5:02 PM
  • Hello,

The test manager in the IDE shows all the loaded tests currently in the solution. However, they are not really persisted in the vsmdi file until you create test lists that contain some of the tests. Therefore, using Test Manager, you should create new test list(s) that contain the tests that you want to execute (by dragging and dropping tests to your newly created test list(s)). Then, in the command line, you can specify those test list(s) to execute, as Dominic suggested.

Thanks.

Winnie

Monday, January 9, 2006 10:38 PM