Visual Studio 2017 Add Reference Issue Small Basic Graduate RRS feed

• Question

• Why would I always have to add a reference to the project for "SmallBasicLibrary" when I graduate a program from Small Basic to Visual Basic. Another thing that is unusual is having to do a "OneWay Upgrade" once it gets to visual studio. Didn't have to do either of these with previous versions of Visual Studio. Visual Studio 2017 is what I'm using.

JR

Sunday, March 26, 2017 3:25 PM
    Answerer

Answers

All replies

• I guess this is because the project is created in an earlier format and needs to be updated when opened in VS2017.
    Sunday, March 26, 2017 4:49 PM
  • LitDev,

Do you know if there is a way in visual studio to put the smallbasiclibrary.dll in it so that if you do the graduate that it is automatically called in? I know I can add the dll in project each time I bring something in, but I don't remember doing that before with older levels of visual studio. I would think that "graduate function would do this, but it doesn't.

JR

Sunday, March 26, 2017 5:34 PM
    Answerer
  • I don't know and haven't migrated to 2017 yet, but I assume it needs updates in the next versin of SB to handle this - perhaps log a bug report/request.

I think below is the current location to log this issue.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/32425.microsoft-small-basic-v1-2-known-issues.aspx

• Edited by litdev Sunday, March 26, 2017 8:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by jricestkEditor Sunday, March 26, 2017 8:29 PM
    Sunday, March 26, 2017 8:00 PM
  • I entered it as an issue. Let me know if you get the same results when you migrate to 2017.

JR

Sunday, March 26, 2017 8:32 PM
    Answerer
  • Graduation with VS2017 Community I see the same issues (SmallBasicLbrary.dll is not referenced and I get the One Way upgrade request, also I have to change target .Net from 3.5 to 4.5). 

Sunday, March 26, 2017 9:01 PM
  • LitDev,

Those are all the same issues that I see. I think you have to go to 4.5 from 3.5 because of 1.2 Small Basic. I can also see doing the One way upgrade. The one I don't get is I have to go to Project view and then add reference and then browse and click on the checkbox reference that is already there so that it will be available for that project. It's no big deal, but wasn't that done by graduate before? Or maybe I had previously loaded it into an older version of Visual Studio and it just got added automatically for a graduated project. Well now we know that something is different and it's not my setup. Thanks for checking it out.

JR

Sunday, March 26, 2017 10:07 PM
    Answerer