File share quota vs usage RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'd like to understand how file share quota works with a standard account storage.
    I have a file share with a quota set to 5GiB. But recently it went further than the quota and reached more than 30GiB.
    My usage was greater than the quota.

What is the prupose of quota then?

Thanks in advance,
    Mickael

Thursday, January 9, 2020 4:37 PM

All replies

• Hi Mickael, 

It shouldn't have went past the File share, once the file share reaches the quota, you'll get the below error. My question would be, when going to portal then into the fileshare properties, does it list a bigger usage size than the quota ? Do you also do file share snapshots on the share ?

Create Azure FileService file failed. Details: StatusCode = 403, StatusText = The specified share is full..

Thursday, January 9, 2020 8:24 PM
  • Hi Adam,

Thanks for coming back to me.
    Yes I had checked the share properties which were displaying something like
    QUOTA
    5 GiB

USAGE
    30Gib

I can't send you a screenshot as I changed the quota yesterday to be greater again.

Fortunately It was not causing any issues and our system was still able to add more files in it...

Friday, January 10, 2020 7:46 AM
  • I can confirm the same.

I have fileshares where Usage is higher than the configured quota.  The apps using these fileshare do receive errors - which is how we noticed it.

Quota 80 G

Usage 86.51 G

$quota = (az storage share show --name $x.name --account-name $STA --account-key $key --query properties.quota)
            $used = (az storage share stats --name $x.name --account-name $STA --account-key $key)
            $percentage = ($used/$quota*100)

108.75 % full

Wednesday, March 4, 2020 5:38 PM