none
unattended install of .net 4.5.1 with sccm 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• hi everyone,

i am trying to create an unattended install of .net 4.5.1 using sccm 2012.

My command line is "NDP451-KB2858728-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe" /quiet /log C:\net451.log and it is set up to install for system whether user is logged in or not. The install starts and I can see the process run for the NDP451-KB2858728-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe but then nothing happens, it just hangs whether there is a user logged in or not and it doesn’t even create the log file. Again, this is through sccm. If I just run from the command line, it works. Sccm seems to be doing its job of triggering the installer to run, but something must be going wrong. If I change the cmd line and remove the quiet command, it then works through sccm, but prompts for input (agreeing to terms) which we dont want.

any ideas would be appreciated.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:09 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Check out the announcement below: .NET 4.5.1 is expected to release on WU/WSUS on 11/26.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894199/en-us

http://blogs.technet.com/b/wsus/archive/2013/11/22/microsoft-net-framework-4-5-1-coming-to-wsus.aspx

So, you might be able to use the Microsoft provided bundles rather than creating a custom deployment.

• What platform is this on, since there is a MSI (Win 7 and lower) and MSU (Win 8) installer in the package?
    • Check if there was a pending reboot on this machine which was preventing the update from applying.
    • Another option would be to try without the log path “/log C:\net451.log” and let all the logs collect in temp folder. This way you can collect logs using the collect.exe tool and then mail the same (vslogs.cab) to netfxsetup at Microsoft.com
    • See, if this works on some other box and is not local problem.

Since, there are no .NET logs there is not much to go on with. See, if the SCCM report says anything about the failure.

Thanks,

Vivek Mishra - MSFT

Friday, November 22, 2013 1:35 AM

All replies

• hi everyone,

i am trying to create an unattended install of .net 4.5.1 using sccm 2012.

My command line is "NDP451-KB2858728-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe" /quiet /log C:\net451.log and it is set up to install for system whether user is logged in or not. The install starts and I can see the process run for the NDP451-KB2858728-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe but then nothing happens, it just hangs whether there is a user logged in or not and it doesn’t even create the log file. Again, this is through sccm. If I just run from the command line, it works. Sccm seems to be doing its job of triggering the installer to run, but something must be going wrong. If I change the cmd line and remove the quiet command, it then works through sccm, but prompts for input (agreeing to terms) which we dont want.

any ideas would be appreciated.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:09 PM
  • Hi,

Check out the announcement below: .NET 4.5.1 is expected to release on WU/WSUS on 11/26.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894199/en-us

http://blogs.technet.com/b/wsus/archive/2013/11/22/microsoft-net-framework-4-5-1-coming-to-wsus.aspx

So, you might be able to use the Microsoft provided bundles rather than creating a custom deployment.

• What platform is this on, since there is a MSI (Win 7 and lower) and MSU (Win 8) installer in the package?
    • Check if there was a pending reboot on this machine which was preventing the update from applying.
    • Another option would be to try without the log path “/log C:\net451.log” and let all the logs collect in temp folder. This way you can collect logs using the collect.exe tool and then mail the same (vslogs.cab) to netfxsetup at Microsoft.com
    • See, if this works on some other box and is not local problem.

Since, there are no .NET logs there is not much to go on with. See, if the SCCM report says anything about the failure.

Thanks,

Vivek Mishra - MSFT

Friday, November 22, 2013 1:35 AM
  • I suspect that SCCM is waiting for validation that the package is OK to install. We have had this effect under SMS 2003 with several newer packages and Windows 7. You need to right-click on the exe file and under the file properties "unblock" the file. This may fix.
    Monday, July 28, 2014 10:20 AM