none
Mac SMB Connect to Azure Storage File Share

Question

• Greetings.

I have setup an Azure Storage Account and created a File Share. I can connect to this successfully via SMB on Windows. However, I have trouble doing so on OS X 10.11.

What steps should I take to connect successfully? Is there a default WORKGROUP or DOMAIN that I should be using?

Thank you,

Chris

• Edited by cralor Tuesday, October 06, 2015 8:28 PM
    Tuesday, October 06, 2015 8:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Chris,

Azure File Storage supports both SMB 2.1 and SMB 3.0 and can be used with Windows and Linux. Here is the link - https://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/documentation/articles/storage-dotnet-how-to-use-files/ talks about it.

However, we don't have an officially published document that says OSX is supported with Azure File Storage.

You might want to see this video - https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Microsoft-Azure/AzureCon-2015/ACON202

You may try with OS X Mavericks or OS X Yosemite to connect to Azure File Storage and see if that works.

Best Regards

Sadiqh Ahmed

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If a post answers your question, please click Mark As Answer on that post and Vote as Helpful.

Wednesday, October 07, 2015 6:57 PM
  • Sadiqh, thank you for the information.

I am aware SMB 3.0 is supported with the latest version of OS X. This is my conundrum. I cannot connect with the SMB protocol using the Finder application to my Azure File Storage like I normally would for any other SMB file share.

The process explained for Windows is what I have performed successfully, but doing this similar process on Mac has been troublesome for me.

Thank you.

Thursday, October 08, 2015 2:43 AM
  • Mounting an Azure File share from OSX is currently not supported. There may be a work around but the only officially supported clients can be found here

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/storage-dotnet-how-to-use-files/#mount-the-file-share

and here

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/storage-how-to-use-files-linux/#choose-a-linux-distribution-to-use

Friday, October 16, 2015 9:13 PM
  • Thanks Michael.

Any plans to support OS X in the future?

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 4:39 AM
  • Did anything come of this - is there a OS X solution?

Lee

Friday, April 22, 2016 2:24 PM
  • Yes this has been solved.  Actually, not sure if it was broken, because I was connecting to the AZURE file share and logging in using the name of the storage as the ID and one of the keys at the password.

1) Open "Connect to Server" by pressing the keys command K

2) Copy and paste the URL for your AZURE file share.  Make sure you put smb://  in from of it  for example:

smb://xxxxxx.file.core.windows.net/xxxxxxx

3) The Mac will prompt you for the user name and password, this is where you put in the of the storage and one of the keys

The Mac will mount the drive as a normal file server drive on your desktop.  It works for me, hopefully it works for you.

Ariffer

Monday, January 09, 2017 10:22 PM
  • Yes this has been solved.  Actually, not sure if it was broken, because I was connecting to the AZURE file share and logging in using the name of the storage as the ID and one of the keys at the password.

1) Open "Connect to Server" by pressing the keys command k

2) Copy and paste the URL for your AZURE file share.  Make sure you put smb://  in from of it  for example:

smb://xxxxxx.file.core.windows.net/xxxxxxx

3) The Mac will prompt you for the user name and password, this is where you put in the of the storage and one of the keys

The Mac will mount the drive as a normal file server drive on your desktop.  It works for me, hopefully it works for you.

Monday, January 09, 2017 10:23 PM
  • I found it very temperamental this way. Mounting from command line is much more resilient for me:

Here is the format to mount from command line:

mount_smbfs -d 0777 -f 0777 //[storagename]:[key]@[storagename].file.core.windows.net/[sharedname]  [Mount point in Mac filesystem]

Hope that helps

Sunday, January 22, 2017 10:22 AM
  • Thank you for this tip.

However I can't seem to get it working.

I set up new storage in Azure and created a new file share, however when I try to connect, I receive an error.

Is any additional configuration in Azure necessary?

Sunday, February 19, 2017 1:22 PM