.ADO.Net Data Services and Net RIA Services in one project RRS feed

• Question

• I was planning to use Ado.Net Services for my project but now  not sure how to mix them up with with .Net RIA Services.  Quite clearly .Net RIA services use ADO.Net  Services somehow, but I can't see any examples or recommendations yet.  It would be interesting to know what can be done in ADO.Net services which cannot be done using .Net RIA Services.
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 1:33 AM

Answers

• Both the teams (RIA and Ado .Net data services) are working together to converge on a combined story which makes sense for the customers. Hopefully soon, we will have something that we can show to your customers and that should remove any confusion that we have created.

Thanks
    Pratik
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 11:06 PM

All replies

• Both the teams (RIA and Ado .Net data services) are working together to converge on a combined story which makes sense for the customers. Hopefully soon, we will have something that we can show to your customers and that should remove any confusion that we have created.

Thanks
    Pratik
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 11:06 PM
  • Is this solution going to support entity framework (ef) inheritance? I understand v1 of ado.net data services paritally supports it but not navigational properties on derived types and ria services des not support inheritance full stop.

Its very misleading to specify ado.net data services and ria services support ef when it clearly doesn't why only partial support? and why not clearly specify it's limitations?

Will ria service validation support metadata attributes in a future release so we can develop code with a migration path to future RTM releases.
    It doesn't seem as though we can use the silverlight validation and dataform controls with standard wcf services without this support?

Can someone make it clear to people interested in using this technology what the future will look like?

This is a related thread on the ria services forum http://silverlight.net/forums/t/87102.aspx

Thanks,

Paul

nanopass
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 8:45 PM
  • Hi Pratik

do you have a road map for this? it seems to me that there will be a great modification needed for Ado.net data services to work with RIA. While Ado.net data services is easy to get started with, it has a few short comings to over-come. and RIA services does seems to be a more comprehensive approch to the n-teir LOB project. I really hope these 2 can work together well, or the time I spent in learning ado.net data service will be totally wasted.

thanks
    Monday, May 25, 2009 6:44 AM