Any Taskbar improvements in Windows 8?

General discussion

• Are there any further improvements to the taskbar or Windows 7 was a one-time effort for the taskbar? There were some useful Classic taskbar features that were lost in Windows 7:

-  Separation of running programs from non-running programs because the AppIDs of pinned and running apps are the same. After using Windows for 15+ years, there should be an option for those who prefer to have running programs on the extreme right. There is no such option for users in Windows 7 or Windows 8.

-  Buttons can be set to "Never combine" but button grouping cannot be turned off. Buttons of the same app are always grouped together (because they share the same AppID). Why can't I have 1.Notepad .2 Paint  3. Notepad 4. IE 5. Notepad  if I started it in that order. It's always Notepad, Notepad, Notepad, Paint, IE.

-  When grouping is enabled, clicking on the thumbnail of a background window switches to it which is normal. But clicking on the thumbnail of a FOREground window (one which is already active) also switches to it again! It should minimize the active window!

-  Floating deskbands/toolbars on the desktop are no longer allowed although many users used this

-  Grouping options are over-simplified. In Windows Vista and XP, users could configure (from the registry) after how many windows of an app they want it to group. In Windows 7 and Windows 8, it's only group, group when taskbar is full and never combine. Where is the "combine after x windows of an app" setting?

-  Number of combined windows is not shown like Windows Vista. It helps to know how many windows or tabs (in case of IE) you have grouped without counting them. Number of windows was shown up to Windows 7 Milestone 2 but removed in Milestone 3.

-  Not exactly related to taskbar but: Power icon in the notification area should show all power plans like Vista did. In Windows 7 and Windows 8, "Balanced" plan is FIXED and there is no way to hide it and show more than 2 plans. The power icon should also be enable-able for desktops.

-  When I am printing, a Printer icon appears in the notification area. In XP, I used to be able to double click this Printer icon to open the printer status window. In Windows 7 and Windows 8, nothing happens after double clicking the Printers icon.

-  There is no quick access from the taskbar's notification area to enable/disable Ethernet connections. Only dial-up and wireless connections appear in the View Available Networks (VAN) UI. Ethernet connections appear but right clicking them does not show any menu. It should show a menu like disable/enable, status and properties like it does for Wi-Fi and dial-up connections.

-  Multiple Taskbar buttons could be "selected" in Windows Vista by holding down Ctrl key and left/right clicking on taskbar buttons. For example, I could hold down Ctrl and click 4 Notepad windows or 5 Explorer windows and group close them or group maximize them. This feature was removed in Windows 7 because jump lists replaced the context menu you get when you right click a taskbar button. But if Shift+right click can show a context menu, why can't Ctrl+right click or Ctrl+shift+right click allow selecting taskbar buttons and show the group window actions menu (Close group, Maximize group etc?) Group close is only available if you combine your taskbar windows. It should also be there for users who don't combine windows.

Monday, September 26, 2011 3:45 AM

All replies

• They can't leak any information regarding  future releases of the OS.

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Monday, September 26, 2011 8:42 AM
  • Leak information?? The Windows 8 coming out party at BUILD is over. :) Windows 8 beta is almost here.
    Monday, September 26, 2011 9:38 AM