none
File Adpater is not picking files from remote location network share RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am facing problem with network share folder where File Adpater is not picking files from remote location network share.

No error is see in event log and there are around 60 receive locations connection to remote share on subfolders in same server.

Pls advise what would be the issue..

-- Kind Regards Sandeep
    Monday, January 24, 2011 5:14 AM

Answers

• Hi Sandeep,

So it may be then that since your BizTalk Server "client" running on Windows Server 2003 R2 is still using SMB 1.0, that the

MaxMpxCt and MaxWorkItems registry entries under the section

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters\

on the Windows Server 2008 R2 computer

and the MaxCmds registry entry under the section

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanworkstation\parameters

on the Windows Server 2003 R2 computer are still honored.

In this case, it should be OK to make these changes.

The error message that is being returned on the BizTalk Server is just a generic error message thrown by the File Adapter when it is unable to connect to the specified location, so if SMB is not allowing the connection this error will occur eventually regardless of the configured retry intervals and attempts. The only time that I have seen this problem occur despite making the registry changes is when the computer(s) on which the changes were made were not rebooted in which case the registry changes were not recognized.

If you continue to have problems please load Performance Monitor on the BizTalk Server computer and check the value of the Redirector Object\Current Commands counter.

Regards,

Trace

Trace Young
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 3:18 PM

All replies

• Hi Sandeep,

What file system is the remote location network share using?  If using NTFS then probably just need to increase the MaxCmds and the MaxMpxCt values per  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810886.  If the remote network share is on UNIX then you *might* be able to get everything working but would probably need to use SAMBA or such to emulate Windows SMB.  Note that per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/815070, the File adapter is officially supported on and tested against the NTFS file system.

Regards,

Trace

Trace Young
    • Proposed as answer by Trace Young Monday, January 24, 2011 9:44 PM
    Monday, January 24, 2011 9:44 PM
  • Hi Trace,

I have checked the server hard drive is NTFS and using Windows Server 2008 R2 where the remote share is located.

Also i checked Share folder properties it is SMB file share.

Also the BizTalk is installed on windows server 2003 R2.

I have set registry entry on BizTalk Server as:

1. At location "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanworkstation\parameters"

I set MaxCmds value to 2048

2. At location "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters"

I set MaxMpxCt  values to 2048 and MaxWorkItems as 8192

Same i followed on server where share folder exists.

Please advise if i am missing anything..

-- Kind Regards Sandeep
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 4:34 AM
  • Hi Sandeep,

Support for SMB 2.0 was introduced with Windows Server 2008 (for that matter 2008 R2 introduced SMB 2.1).  Since your BizTalk Server computer is running on Windows Server 2003, it is using SMB 1.0.  The networking team did a bunch of work on the network stack for Windows Server 2008 and we have found that manually modifying any of the default parameters usually yields no performance gains or if anything may hinder performance somewhat. Therefore I would recommend reverting the registry changes that were applied to the file server and once you've done that I would go ahead and reboot the file server. To help narrow down if the problem is related to BizTalk Server or SMB I have to ask, are any files being picked up by any of the File receive locations?

If not then:

1. Check the share level and file system level permissions for the File Receive adapter handler host instance as described in the topic How to Configure a File Receive Handler.

2. Verify the BatchSize, FileMask, FilePath, Username and Password properties for the File Receive locations as described in the topic How to Configure a File Receive Location. In particular note that if you are specifying alternative credentials on the Authentication tab for the FILE Transport Properties dialog box "If multiple receive locations mapped to the same network share are configured with alternative credentials, then the same credentials must be used for all of the receive locations. Windows does not allow you to make multiple connections to a shared network server from the same computer if you attempt to use more than one set of credentials."

If some files are being received are the files only picked up by specific file receive locations and not others or is this a random problem whereby any file receive location may or may not pick up files?  If this is limited to only certain file receive locations then you would want to double check the file receive handler and file receive location configuration as suggested above.

If this is random behavior then we would include troubleshooting problems with SMB as described in  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810886. Given the network tuning optimizations built into Windows Server 2008 R2, I would focus SMB troubleshooting to the BizTalk Server computer running Windows Server 2003 R2. Therefore, I would still implement the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanworkstation\parameters\MaxCmds registry change on the BizTalk Server computer and actually, you may want to increase the value for MaxCmds registry entry to an even higher value, say 4092.  Then you would want to reboot the BizTalk Server computer again to ensure that the change is enforced.

After making these changes, if you are still having problems then follow these steps:

1. Review the System and Application logs on both the BizTalk Server computer and the File Server computer.  If you are having SMB related issues then you will almost certainly see some errors or warnings on at least on of the computers. If you are seeing anything in the System or Application logs then please let me know exactly what errors or warnings are being generated.
    2. Load Performance Monitor on the BizTalk Server computer and check the value of the Redirector Object\Current Commands counter. If this value gets to a certain point and levels off then we may need to go back to the Windows Server 2008 R2 computer and try changing increasing the value for the MaxMpxCt and MaxWorkItems parameters again.

Regards,

Trace

Trace Young
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 5:04 PM
  • Hi Trace ,

many thanks for you advise..

So is that first i revert registry changes to Windows Server 2008 R2 where share folder is located for MaxMpxCt,MaxCmds and MaxWorkItems and reboot the server.

Because i had just did changes as you advised for MaxMpxCt,MaxCmds to 10000 to both servers(file server and biztalk server), but still after restarting host instance biztalk established 49 connections now when i drop file in one of these file location file gets consumed and when i drop file in other file locations which are not in 49 connections list ,..file won't pick from location.

Also overnight i see out of 49 connections some connections drops having event log entry as receive location exhausted after retry interval.

Also i have set retry interval to count 500 interval 5 mins ..

Pls Advise..

-- Kind Regards Sandeep
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 4:37 AM
  • Hi Trace,

I rolled back registry settings and reboot the file server. Then i checked the event log on both system but no error.

Then i restarted the host instance to reestablish the connection to file server ..it again showed me 49 connections.

Then i installed wireshark on file server to monitor what is the value of MaxMpxCt it showed me 50, then i again did registry settings as:

MaxMpxCt = 2048

MaxCmds = 2048 and MaxWorkItems = 8192..then reboot the file server and then i again i restarted ports one by one instead all at ones..

the count for connections to file server reached 60 (which is the total number of receive locations)..

Trace i can't understand why this didn't happened when i set values of MaxMpxCt,MaxCmds to 10000 as you have advised..

Also please clear my doubts ..sometimes i see port error as :

The receive location "Receive Location_InputXml_CLOSURE" with URL "\\10.0.0.0\DataExchange\SAP\FileOut\Transaction\DomesticOrderClosure\*.xml" is shutting down. Details:"The FILE receive location \\10.0.0.0\DataExchange\SAP\FileOut\Transaction\DomesticOrderClosure\*.xml exhausted the network retry attempts. ".

what would be the reson for this as retry attempts as 50 and interval as 5 mins..files drop at this location occasionally as project is under development.

Pls advise on this..

-- Kind Regards Sandeep
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 6:24 AM
  • Hi Sandeep,

So it may be then that since your BizTalk Server "client" running on Windows Server 2003 R2 is still using SMB 1.0, that the

MaxMpxCt and MaxWorkItems registry entries under the section

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters\

on the Windows Server 2008 R2 computer

and the MaxCmds registry entry under the section

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanworkstation\parameters

on the Windows Server 2003 R2 computer are still honored.

In this case, it should be OK to make these changes.

The error message that is being returned on the BizTalk Server is just a generic error message thrown by the File Adapter when it is unable to connect to the specified location, so if SMB is not allowing the connection this error will occur eventually regardless of the configured retry intervals and attempts. The only time that I have seen this problem occur despite making the registry changes is when the computer(s) on which the changes were made were not rebooted in which case the registry changes were not recognized.

If you continue to have problems please load Performance Monitor on the BizTalk Server computer and check the value of the Redirector Object\Current Commands counter.

Regards,

Trace

Trace Young
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 3:18 PM
  • Hi Trace, Many thanks for your reply. Could you please advise what can be done..or what would be the cause of receive location exhausted of network retry attempts. As you said if SMB is not allowing connection ,..so would be any parameter is need to check which is causing this problem. As in production it would be difficult to know when the port got disabled due to exhausted retyr attempts. Pls advise..
    -- Kind Regards Sandeep
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 5:40 PM
  • Hi Sandeep,

If the problem is still occurring after applying the various settings then we have unfortunately surpassed the boundaries of my knowledge regarding BizTalk Server FRF and/or SMB :) In this case I would even go so far to say as you may be seeing symptoms of a bug although we would need verification from Microsoft Product Support Services. At this point I would recommend opening a support case with Product Support Services and explain to them the steps that you have followed. You can open a support case by following the steps at http://www.itedge.net/blog/2008/09/18/microsoft-support-options/. Note that if this issue is due to a bug in the product then you should not be charged for support but you will probably have to provide a credit card or use a support incident from a support contract to get the case started.

Please let me know the results of this issue or if this problem is still unresolved after working with Microsoft Product Support Services.

Regards,

Trace

Trace Young
    Friday, January 28, 2011 4:52 PM