none
"This recordset is not updateable" RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have an front-end database that works on my computer, but I get this message in the status bar "This recordset is not updateable" when I run the copy of the FE on two other computers.

    1. I have matched the Trust Center settings from the computer that the app works on. Still have the same issue.

    2. I have disabled security settings. I changed the Advanced Sharing options to turn off password protected sharing.

    All the computers are running Windows 10 and Access 2019.

    The back-end is on the our local network.

    I tried to run the program on my computer from one of the other workstations. Still have the same issue.

    I followed the step by step procedure for splitting the database.

    I have verified the code does not contain errors.

    What is wrong?

    Monday, June 17, 2019 12:25 PM

Answers

  • Well I figured out what the problem was.

    The folder that contained the back-end had the following permission settings;

    1. "Everyone" Full control.

    2. "root (Unix User\root)" Read only.

    3. "admin" Full Control.

    So when I changed #2 to Full Control low and behold, problem disappeared!

    I sure did get an education on this one.

    Thanks to all who chimed in.

    • Marked as answer by SummitHelo Wednesday, June 19, 2019 7:12 PM
    Wednesday, June 19, 2019 7:12 PM

All replies

  • Try opening the FE through the Windows explorer while holding down the shift key so you bypass any startup code/macros. Use the Linked Table Manager to make sure the links are still good. If not, re-link the tables and make sure you are not using a mapped drive. Use the UNC psth, i.e. \\<servername>\<foldername>\ <databasename>

    Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

    Monday, June 17, 2019 8:17 PM
  • Bill, I did everything you suggested and the message bar still still shows "This recordset is not updateable" when the form is opening. Then I checked the form and still can't edit.
    Tuesday, June 18, 2019 12:41 PM
  • Have you run Windows update on all the machines in question?  Are you logging in to the local network with the same user id on all machines?

    -Bruce

    Tuesday, June 18, 2019 2:32 PM
  • Check the permissions on the folder where the FE is and the folder where the BE is. Both need read/write/delete permissions for all who use the front end.

    Also, have you tried making a new FE copy of the one that works on your computer? Maybe the first copy you made is corrupt.


    Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

    Tuesday, June 18, 2019 3:00 PM
  • Yes to both questions Bruce
    Tuesday, June 18, 2019 6:04 PM
  • Bill this is what I did today.

    1. Merged FE and BE and saved. (Reason for this was database was first developed using 2003).  
    2. Verified program worked.
    3. Compact & Repair +  Compiled.
    4. Packaged and signed and distributed to one of the work stations.

    When I opened the FE on the workstation, the problem didn't go away.



    Tuesday, June 18, 2019 6:37 PM
  • Bill this is what I did today.

    1. Merged FE and BE and saved. (Reason for this was database was first developed using 2003).  
    2. Verified program worked.
    3. Compact & Repair +  Compiled.
    4. Packaged and signed and distributed to one of the work stations.

    When I opened the FE on the workstation, the problem didn't go away.



    OK, let's try a decompile. Instructions here. If that doesn't help then import everything into an new, blank database.

    The form's recordset might be the problem, but seems you can't open it in design view. Do you have any startup forms or AutoExec macros? If so disable them so the database opens without any action.

    Then open the form in design view and check the form's recordsource. Open the recordsource as a query and see if you can add a record or edit one. It might be the underlying table(s) have an issue.

    Can you post the form's recordsource in SQL view here?


    Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

    Tuesday, June 18, 2019 7:00 PM
  • Hi Bill,

    I did everything you listed except the last item. 

    The form does not depend on any queries. I could add and edit in the query.

    I can run the copied FE on the other workstation from my computer and it runs fine. I reviewed the Trust Center settings and saw that I was not listed as a Trusted publisher. I corrected that, still no success with running App from workstation.

    I think it is a permissions issue. The FE on the problematic workstation does not show that the database is "Read Only" like I have seen during my searching for a solution.

    I have a login screen which just limits who can access the DB. I removed this feature and it still doesn't work.

    What next LOL.

    Thank God I am patient! 

    Wednesday, June 19, 2019 5:20 PM
  • Well I figured out what the problem was.

    The folder that contained the back-end had the following permission settings;

    1. "Everyone" Full control.

    2. "root (Unix User\root)" Read only.

    3. "admin" Full Control.

    So when I changed #2 to Full Control low and behold, problem disappeared!

    I sure did get an education on this one.

    Thanks to all who chimed in.

    • Marked as answer by SummitHelo Wednesday, June 19, 2019 7:12 PM
    Wednesday, June 19, 2019 7:12 PM