none
Feb 2015 CU - Windows Update - feedback RRS feed

• Question

• Not really a question/problem - more a feedback/sharing on the experience with FEB 2015 CU that comes with Windows updates (WUS)

I'm Building a new farm that consist of 2 servers Windows 2012 R2 (a WFE and APP) - so after installing the OS (WUS updating)

I then installed SharePoint - and it's up and running - both servers in the Farm..

So getting ready for the WUS again - and besides some more updates for the OS the FEB 2015 CU was marked to be downloaded and get installed on both servers - then the WUS tells a restart is needed - so it's all good.. restarting both servers and they where back online.

I then - as stated from MS - ran the PSconfig (UI) on the APP server (as an Administrator) and it first tells me that this wizard will upgrade SP...(well that's is what I'm aiming for so go ahead!) 

I click on the 'Next' button - and BOOM !!!! The PSconfig on the APP server stops and telling, that there's a lot of missing files on the WFE server! (not on the APP) - so can't continue the wizard!! 

I then tried to run the PSconfig (UI) on the WFE and BOOM !! same thing - a lot of files was reporting missing on the APP server!!! (not itself) - so couldn't continue on that server as well!!    

So Microsoft - Dead end ... what do one do in a situation like that??!? - where's the info?.

I got it solved by running the powershell "Get-SPProcduct -Local" on each server - but MS needs to make the PSConfig multiple server aware, so this Get-SPProcduct -Local" becomes unnecessary, when the updates is applied from the WUS.   

Just my 2 cents.. !

• Edited by JmATK Saturday, February 21, 2015 11:18 PM
    Saturday, February 21, 2015 11:09 PM

Answers

• Product Support Services

Technically, snapshots aren't supported due to performance reasons as you're running on a differencing disk after the snapshot. The only "supported" way to rollback a farm is:

1) Have a valid full farm backup (or SQL db backup) pre-patch

2) Create a new farm, from scratch (this is why scripting your build is essential!), using newly built servers

3) Reconfigure farm-wide settings (e.g. Web Applications, Outgoing email, and so on).

4) Restore Content and Service Application databases

Full farm backup is via Backup-SPFarm or Central Admin. SQL backup is via T-SQL/SQL Server Management Studio (a full farm backup also performs a T-SQL backup). 3rd party backup solutions may also work.

Trevor Seward

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by JmATK Monday, February 23, 2015 4:29 PM
    Sunday, February 22, 2015 5:15 PM

All replies

• The cmdlet isn't "necessary", typically. The job runs periodically and will eventually update the product information in the Config db to be accurate of what is installed on the server.

Of course, sometimes the job fails for whatever reason, so manually running the function is required.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Saturday, February 21, 2015 11:17 PM
  • That surely gives a bigger maintenance window as one have to wait for that job to run before running the PSconfig.. :)  
    Saturday, February 21, 2015 11:21 PM
  • That is potentially true, which is why you would want to use WSUS/SCCM and filter out SharePoint updates, or outright manually install updates from MU/WU, unchecking SharePoint patches.

Trevor Seward

Saturday, February 21, 2015 11:23 PM
  • Hi Trevor 

Can I ask what you do before applying any updates? - more specific the "Roll-back" plan in case the configuration fails? 

once you applied the CU the files on each servers is change and not to forget the DB's is changed...    

Do you take a Hyper-v snapshot of each server or? 

• Edited by JmATK Saturday, February 21, 2015 11:30 PM
    Saturday, February 21, 2015 11:30 PM
  • Snapshots aren't supported for SharePoint. A 'rollback' would be to create a full farm backup prior to installing any SharePoint update. If a rollback is required, then create a new farm and restore the content. Painful, but that is the supported method.

Of course, I would certainly call PSS before going down that path...

Trevor Seward

Saturday, February 21, 2015 11:40 PM
  • PSS ?

Well maybe that's why I've had all the trouble with the current farm...

I've learned that hyper-v, indeed was supported - only demand, was all servers had to be shut off/down - including the SQL before taking the hyper-v checkpoints/snapshots -

Previously CU's failed to complete....the PSconfig failed... and I couldn't complete it - so done restores of the APP and the WFE with the hyper-v snapshots.   

A full farm backup is that from within the Central Admin or 3 party product?

a farm backup from CA does this "roll back" any file changes installed in the 15' hive?  

• Edited by JmATK Sunday, February 22, 2015 9:43 AM
    Sunday, February 22, 2015 7:53 AM
  • Product Support Services

Technically, snapshots aren't supported due to performance reasons as you're running on a differencing disk after the snapshot. The only "supported" way to rollback a farm is:

1) Have a valid full farm backup (or SQL db backup) pre-patch

2) Create a new farm, from scratch (this is why scripting your build is essential!), using newly built servers

3) Reconfigure farm-wide settings (e.g. Web Applications, Outgoing email, and so on).

4) Restore Content and Service Application databases

Full farm backup is via Backup-SPFarm or Central Admin. SQL backup is via T-SQL/SQL Server Management Studio (a full farm backup also performs a T-SQL backup). 3rd party backup solutions may also work.

Trevor Seward

• Marked as answer by JmATK Monday, February 23, 2015 4:29 PM
    Sunday, February 22, 2015 5:15 PM
  • Just chiming in here to agree, since this all started I've noticed differences like this too and have had to run get-spproduct alot to sort out stuff. The most weird thing that happened was when I added a new application server to the farm, making sure it had the same files and eveyrthing, it joined just fine. The next morning CA said "upgrade required" on all servers but the new one which was 100% ok. so ran psconfig, both the GUI and console, and it always said "no updates" and failed. Took me a whole day to sort that out.

So not a big fan of this move either. But fortunately we have a on-prem wsus server so I can block the sharepoint patches at that level. Until some clumsy admin accidentally presses "check online" ...

Friday, February 27, 2015 10:05 AM
  • Check the Database Status under upgrade and migration. Non-upgraded databases can cause the upgrade req. messages.

Trevor Seward

Friday, February 27, 2015 1:47 PM
  • Thanks Trevor, I'll have a look at that next time this happens. Right now everything is showing "no action required" but I bet when I come back on monday that'll have changed :(
    Friday, February 27, 2015 2:18 PM