How to Install? RRS feed

• Question

• User900193797 posted

Hello, I am very new to VS 2005. From what I was able to gather, I can just place the TimeTracker 2.0 zip file in a certain directory and VS 2005 will list it as an available template that I can open when I chose File\New Project. However, I do not see it listed (I did verify where it is pointing to by selecting Tools\Options\Projects and Solutions\General.

Is this the best way to get this thing opened in my local VS 2005?

Thanks for your time!

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 12:38 PM

All replies

• User-1853252149 posted

Unzip it and read the documentation.

Jeff

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 3:30 PM
  • User900193797 posted

There is no documentation regarding installation included with the zip file.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 3:43 PM
  • User-1853252149 posted

Hmmm...  I thought all the starter kits had them.  Oh well, guess you just have to go to the source:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/ms789081.aspx

These docs don't tell you to unzip the ZIP file first, but once you do and see the VSI file, you're ready.

Jeff

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 5:28 PM
  • User-417336312 posted

I'm having some confusion with this as well - forgive me if this sounds stupid but I'm new to VS .Net.  After running the vsi, I now have "time_finalbeta_cs.zip" about 8 levels down in my Documents and Settings path.  Is there a recommended location that's easier to get to than the zip file path?

Thanks!

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 12:23 PM
  • User-1891976228 posted

I have to admit that I'm haveing issues as well.

When I ran the time.vsi, it put the file in the proper directory, but when I open up vs 2005 i dont see it in the templates as described in the link provided above.

i see the files, but I cant open them and when I try to access it i get a permissions error on the mdf file.

I'm proficient with c# asp.net and vs 2003, but this is pretty different.

Also, I have both vs2003 and vs2005 as well as sql2k and sql2k5 installed on this laptop (my sandbox environment) but I dont see the template.  I see a starter kit for a screensaver but thats all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks
    Frank

Thursday, February 1, 2007 12:10 AM
  • User-903770539 posted

Hello, I am very new to VS 2005. From what I was able to gather, I can just place the TimeTracker 2.0 zip file in a certain directory and VS 2005 will list it as an available template that I can open when I chose File\New Project. However, I do not see it listed (I did verify where it is pointing to by selecting Tools\Options\Projects and Solutions\General.

Is this the best way to get this thing opened in my local VS 2005?

Thanks for your time!

What I used to open the project is: File -> Open -> WebSite and with the File System tab you can pick the root directory of the unzipped files. After that the TimeTracker solution opens in the Solution Explorer.

To install the files in another directory, you'll have a link on one of the installer screens that says: View files in Windows Explorer. This gives you the opportunity to unzip files elsewhere on your computer.

Don't know if this is what you were looking for?

Jeroen.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 6:07 PM
  • User555306248 posted

You can download .vsi file,  just run it

it will automatically install the TTS

Monday, April 23, 2007 12:14 AM