Unable to access deploy MVC application to remote server via filezilla RRS feed

• Question

• User-1386464926 posted

I had developed a mvc web application in VS 2017 community. I had deployed the same creating a virtual directory, creating a folder in inetpub/wwwroot/MyApp. Then in IIS, right clicked on the MyApp folder and converted to application, set the application pool to .net 4.0 and application was working fine in IIS, localhost.

have set, <customErrors="Off"> and <modules runAllManagedModules="true">
    For the same application when I published in release mode, adding the required .dlls in bin(set - copy to local true) from VS 2017 to folder, then uploading the published folder using filezilla to domain www.mydomain.biz/mydom, I was unable to access the app in that domain, getting

500 - Internal server error.

- Do I need to add the references of the dll in web.config separately ?

- Do I need to add any file to server ( www.mydomain.biz/mydom) to run the application dll

- Is there any steps I missed when publishing or need to add anything in web.config for deployment.

Please correct me I might be wrong somewhere. Thanks in Advance.

Monday, August 28, 2017 6:45 AM

All replies

• User-1716951449 posted

500 doesn't tell much

u need to look at the additional info to pinpoint the cause, there should be another error code/number, or just dig through the event log

then ask mr goggle

Monday, August 28, 2017 10:40 AM
  • User-1386464926 posted

Searched google but did not got any answers. Its says the use of IIS.

Is it possible to deploy MVC 5 web application, using release configuration, publish to file system and upload that published folder to domain www.mydomain.biz/domain root through filezilla to ftp server?

- required that added dll (copy local to true) is added.

- How can we run or upload a web deploy package directly to remote? Without the use of windows server and web management service.

Monday, August 28, 2017 12:25 PM
  • User-1768369891 posted

500 - Internal server error.

Many possible cases for this...

First, you need to enable and see detailed errors of your web messages, because this is a general message without giving information on what's really happening for security reasons.

With the detailed error, you can locate the real issue here.

Also, if you can run the browser on the server, you get details on the error, because the server recognizes that you are local and shows it to you. Or if you can read the log of the server using the Event Viewer, you also see the details of your error.

On IIS 6

<configuration>
        <system.web>
            <customErrors mode="Off"/>
            <compilation debug="true"/>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

On IIS 7

<configuration>
        <system.webServer>
            <httpErrors errorMode="Detailed" />
            <asp scriptErrorSentToBrowser="true"/>
        </system.webServer>
        <system.web>
            <customErrors mode="Off"/>
            <compilation debug="true"/>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

Note: You can avoid the Debug=true. You only need to close the custom errors for a while and get the detailed error page.

Monday, August 28, 2017 1:21 PM