none
Project Site Template Changes Not Flowing Thru to New Project Site RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have just spent the afternoon customising my "project site template 01" (.../PWA/projectsitetemplate01/default.aspx).  And I think I am nearly there.

To test the changes, I created a new project to generate a new Project Site.  I had some problems generating the Project Site, and had to enter the site name using Server Settings > Project Sites.  (Thank-you Matt Rowe at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectserver2010general/thread/9e919ad0-0e0e-4442-b6e2-2419dffb3544 .)

To my consternation, the generated site looked like the pre-customisation site.

Thinking maybe Test 5 had been used before (and be showing me an old site), I returned to Server Settings > Project Sites, deleted the site, and created a new one.  And it is still showing as the pre-customisation site.

Then I checked Server Settings > Project Site Provisioning Settings, and I am definitely pointing to projectsitetemplate01.

Then I closed everything (with fingers crossed), and re-opened it all to find that projectsitetemplate01 has all of the customisations still showing.

Browsing in Site Settings I found "Save site as template", and did so, saving it as projectsitetemplate02.  Then I went back to Server Settings > Project Site Provisioning Settings, and I pointed PWA at projectsitetemplate02.

Then I created a new test project, to find that the Project Site was created without the customisations again.

I would appreciate any assistance I can get on this one.  (I am hoping I am 'this close' to resolving my previous issue - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/project2010custprog/thread/c15087c0-72ed-42db-a9b5-19019525e2ff - if I can just test it out.)

Thanks in anticipation,    ...Geoff 

Monday, August 30, 2010 8:10 AM

Answers

• I have had a resolution, involving:

1. Made changes to projectsitetemplate01 (http://.../PWA/projectsitetemplate01/default.aspx).  (Site Actions > Edit Page.)

2. Saved the modified as projectsitetemplate02.  (Site Actions > Site Settings > Save Site As Template.)

3. STSADM run on projectsitetemplate02.  (The solution to my 'access denied' was to run CMD as Admin.)

4. Changed the Enterprise Template to projectsitetemplate02. (Server Settings > Enterprise Project Types.)

Note:  I did not get to confirm whether both step 2 and 3 were necessary, as step 2 was done by someone else while I was doing step 3.  Also, I still do not know how to get projectsitetemplate01 to just allow changes to be used directly from itself - possibly by running STSADM on it.

...Geoff 

• Marked as answer by Geoff Higgins Tuesday, August 31, 2010 10:36 AM
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 10:36 AM

All replies

• Hello Geoff,

Did you register the template using STSADM?

Cheers!

Michael Wharton,MBA, PMP, mCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    • Marked as answer by Geoff Higgins Tuesday, August 31, 2010 6:59 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Geoff Higgins Tuesday, August 31, 2010 10:39 AM
    Monday, August 30, 2010 1:09 PM
  • Thank-you Michael.  I am working on getting the STSADM run. (I managed to get an 'access denied' on running it as admin on the MOSS box.)

In the interim, I noticed that the Solution Gallery states that projectsitetemplate01 was last updated 26/7/10 - not yesterday afternoon.  However, when I open the file itself (.../PWA/projectsitetemplate01/default.aspx) I can definitely see the changes I made yesterday.

Will running STSADM on projectsitetemplate01 solve this problem?

I'll ask another question - I would have thought I would not need to STSADM the original file (projectsitetemplate01) after updating it.  I am pretty sure when a colleague was working on this in July he did not run STSADM to get the changes he made at that time to 'take'.

...Geoff

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 1:09 AM
  • I have had a resolution, involving:

1. Made changes to projectsitetemplate01 (http://.../PWA/projectsitetemplate01/default.aspx).  (Site Actions > Edit Page.)

2. Saved the modified as projectsitetemplate02.  (Site Actions > Site Settings > Save Site As Template.)

3. STSADM run on projectsitetemplate02.  (The solution to my 'access denied' was to run CMD as Admin.)

4. Changed the Enterprise Template to projectsitetemplate02. (Server Settings > Enterprise Project Types.)

Note:  I did not get to confirm whether both step 2 and 3 were necessary, as step 2 was done by someone else while I was doing step 3.  Also, I still do not know how to get projectsitetemplate01 to just allow changes to be used directly from itself - possibly by running STSADM on it.

...Geoff 

• Marked as answer by Geoff Higgins Tuesday, August 31, 2010 10:36 AM
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 10:36 AM
  • Some further clarification.  Apparently it is unnecessary to use STSADM in Project Server 2010.

...Geoff

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 10:09 AM
  • Geoff:

That is correct, this is an unnecessary step on 2010. I also think you should change your starting point. Instead of creating a Project Site from a project, instead create a new site using the Project Site template from your home page in PWA. Keep this top-level site around permanently and update it as you need to make changes to the template.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 3:36 PM